Jaded King Cobra immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
I want to order one of these as they look awesome! Quick question before I do, is there any reason not to get the 25 inch height one in case I get a taller kettle later on? Right now I have a 17 inch tall kettle and can't think of any negatives. Just wanted to make sure!

I picked up the 25" tall one because I have a 20 gallon kettle. I think it's an extra $10 or something, so I'd say go for it. Yeah, just in case you go bigger in the future.

Just used mine for the first time this past weekend and it was awesome. You definitely won't regret this purchase.

Curious to know everyone/anyone’s experience with the King Cobra? Been on the fence for months on ordering one. Any tips to chilling wort as quickly as possible?

Love my Hydra. I got the longer one in case I ever go back to my 15G kettle from my 10G kettle.

Definitely been eyeing the hydra! I live in Texas so it makes me nervous how effective the product would be during the summer months. Guess I could always rig to a submersible pump during that period

Definitely been eyeing the hydra! I live in Texas so it makes me nervous how effective the product would be during the summer months. Guess I could always rig to a submersible pump during that period

That is exactly what i do. I hook my Hydra to the garden hose and fill two Homer buckets with the hot/warm water, which I use for cleaning. I then move everything to a re-circ system using a cooler filled with ice water (I typically use a 20# bag). Works very well. Just make sure you get a pump that moves water for a good flow.

I want to order one of these as they look awesome! Quick question before I do, is there any reason not to get the 25 inch height one in case I get a taller kettle later on? Right now I have a 17 inch tall kettle and can't think of any negatives. Just wanted to make sure!

I have the Jaded Hydra, and I did exactly what you propose above, i.e., I bought the taller one. My kettle is 10 gallons, a 17" height, sounds the same as yours. If I ever expand capacity, I'm set.

And BTW, those hydras are stunning. When my water is cooler (in winter/spring), I can take a 5.5-gallon batch from boiling to 70 degrees in 4 minutes. I'm not kidding.

Is the cobra just as good? I use a 15 gallon kettle so the wort doesn't come up very high on the pot. That's why I was going to go with that one.

Is the cobra just as good? I use a 15 gallon kettle so the wort doesn't come up very high on the pot. That's why I was going to go with that one.

I don't know--I've never used one, just the Hydra.

But--if it has the same number of coils, the same linear feet of coils, I don't see why it would be any different, so long as you're swishing it around or stirring or using a whirlpool arm, and running the water at full blast.

Given that the Cobra is squattier, probably it's a little less efficient unless you can effectively bring those coils in contact w/ the wort you want to chill.

Back