Jack Daniels Barrel Staves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinginChef

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brand new on here, but I've already got some questions! I'm making a 1 gallon batch of Syrah, and I was curious about what amount of oak chips I should add, and for how long? I do a lot of BBQing, and I have these Jack Daniels Barrel Staves that they sell for smoking (They're actual staves from used Jack Daniels Barrels), and was curious if maybe those would work if I threw some in the secondary? Any thoughts?

Cheers!

I don't know, but if someone in the know can answer I'd be interested in knowing this as well. I wonder if the whiskey flavor would come through?

I did a porter with the Jack Daniels oak chips in the secondary. I used 5 oz for two weeks. The oak is in the background. I also added 10 oz Jack Daniels at bottling. It's a nice porter.
Remember to sterilize the oak chips before adding them to your beer. I steamed mine. Vodka would work also.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I added about 1/2 cup for 2 weeks. The oak is there, but it's too subtle for me. I think I'm going to dump another 1/2 cup and leave them for a month, see what happens. I think it would be really cool if a Jack Daniel's flavor shined through just a little bit. I've got some friends who love JD, and would be curious if they could pick it out without me telling them.

Latest posts

Back