Iyktwykn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starlifter737

Reaction score
If You Knew Then What You Know Now...

What equipment would you have liked to have had starting out. You know, you bought a kit and then upgraded later and wished you had had it from the beginning.

I'll start.

A ten gallon brewpot with spigot...

What else?

Definitely kegging equipment. I would also liked to have had an auto siphon. Back when I started they didn't have anything like that and starting a siphon was a PITA.

Star San. Iodophor is good stuff but I really like Star San.

BTW, I looked at the title of the thread and thought it was spam for sure.

the right propane burner to start with.

(brewpot was my first choice but since it was already taken)

I wish I'd have...

...discovered the merits of dry yeast for clean ales and lagers before this last brew.

...skipped the turkey fryer and gone straight for the big NG burner I use now.

...made more keggles sooner (or found more LEGAL 1/2 bbl kegs sooner).

...gone with steam mashing in the first place rather than messing with HERMS.

...bought a SECOND March pump! Those things are handy!

...built my "Ultimate Mash Tun" already.

...utilized my second argon tank and regulator for back-gassing most of the stainless welds I backed with Solarflux.

I'd still be a bachelor.

D'OH! Wrong, sorry... :eek: ;)

I gotta agree with Rich. Autosiphon. And, bench capper compared to wing...

Ize

I woulda got the advanced complete kit from Midwest instead of the intermediate. I also would have done my kegerator a bit differently, more like the one the guy who built Bruus 10 has.....completely covered in wood and with a fan.

Immersion chiller. No doubt about that one. I didn't want to spend the money on that at first. One batch of the ice water bath hassle, and I immediately started to find room in my poor, Ramen noodle eating, college student budget.

TL

a better grain mill, the corona mill I got from ebay early on was a PITA Also probably would've skipped the whole extract thing, with what I spent on extract early on I could've paid for an all grain set up. I could probably come up with about 30 other things but I'll leave those for other people to list...

If I'm still not kegging yet, can I say Kegging anyway? :drunk:

I would have skipped the 6 or so extract batches that I did and gone right to PM.

I would have built my MLT faster and gone to AG sooner.

I would have found AHS sooner and not ordered from "ohbs to be named later" at all.

I would have had Yuri convert another keggle and sent it to BM. :D

Latest posts

Back