I've left my kegs and taps be for about 2 months - would they still be OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dna_alexov

Reaction score
I brewed a few beers and have them in soda keys, plus I also had one wine in the same soda keg. They have been connected to my co2 and bar taps for about 2 months with no use. I assume the beer and wine lasts in the kegs for a very long time, but being that I left the co2 on would that have maybe spoiled it? Also should I be concerned about the lines since I was using them prior to 2 months ago but nothing since - could the residual product in the lines have caused any bacteria? Should I first clean the lines and system out before pouring a nice cold one?

Thanks

There are a lot of variables, but there is a very very high probability that everything is fine as 2 months is not that long especially since they have been on the gas. Other variables would be what kind of beer are we talking about meaning what style is it, how much alcohol, hops etc... I would burn what is left in the line, maybe only 4 ounces or so and then the taste test will be the best sign.

My other questions is why do you have wine in a keg and carbing it?

My other questions is why do you have wine in a keg and carbing it?

I thought the obvious question people would ask is: "why would you leave your kegs alone for 2 months".

Though to answer the carbed wine question, the answer is why not! I've bought sparkling wine at the store and it is very good. Plus I have a 4 tap tower with 4 soda kegs, and since I normally only have two kegs ready I wanted to "fill" my tower up. Actually on my 4th tap I haver a Coca-Cola soda keg, so I can make a rum/coke with my tower.

Thanks

I thought the obvious question people would ask is: "why would you leave your kegs alone for 2 months".

Though to answer the carbed wine question, the answer is why not! I've bought sparkling wine at the store and it is very good. Plus I have a 4 tap tower with 4 soda kegs, and since I normally only have two kegs ready I wanted to "fill" my tower up. Actually on my 4th tap I haver a Coca-Cola soda keg, so I can make a rum/coke with my tower.

Thanks

Ok well that is cool to experiment, I guess I have never thought about it since wines usually need a lot more conditioning time and I never thought about doing that long condition in the keg. If I had a oak barrel I would be all over that though.

Back