Type of gas/priming pressure kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Collier

Reaction score
Hi guys, I currently have a bar in my garden with gas bottles co2 and Guinness mixed gas. I also have stout tap and normal tap. This is used in a kegorator I built.

I have bought st peters ruby red ale and st peters honey porter. What gas should I used for these 2 types of beer. And what priming pressure should be set after kegging and putting in fridge.

Also what serving pressure for the 2. Many thanks.

I don't really want to force carbonate as would like to conditions in fridge for longer to get better tase. How long would you recommend to wait.

Many thanks

Gareth.

It's all on your preference. Do you want any of those on nitro?

I've never put anything other then a stout on nitro, but I've heard others putting porters , milkshake ipas on nitro.

Serving pressure is based on your set up. For my lines I serve at 12psi. If I were to bypass the force carbonation I'd set it to 12psi and let it carb up for a couple weeks .

When setting up Nitro , you want just a tad of co2 to carb to around 1.2 volumes . Then serve at 30+ psi off gas blend tank .

https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

It's all on your preference. Do you want any of those on nitro?

I've never put anything other then a stout on nitro, but I've heard others putting porters , milkshake ipas on nitro.

Serving pressure is based on your set up. For my lines I serve at 12psi. If I were to bypass the force carbonation I'd set it to 12psi and let it carb up for a couple weeks .

When setting up Nitro , you want just a tad of co2 to carb to around 1.2 volumes . Then serve at 30+ psi off gas blend tank .

https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/
Much appreciated will put through co2 as have only a single regulator on nitro mix and have a double co2 regulator. Will be able to brew my st peter cream stout on nitro and st peters Ruby red ale on co2.

Really appreciate your advice.

If you plan on dispensing a beer through a stout faucet with beer gas take care to carbonate the beer to only 1.2 (my preference) to maybe 1.4 volumes of CO2, lest you end up with a huge foam fest.

Consult a keg priming calculator for how much priming sugar to use for any target volumes. Plan on a couple of weeks from priming to be ready for the tap...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Guinness mixed gas I have 30/70. After st peters ruby red ale fermentation has done will put in fridge and carb up keg with 12psi of co2 will leave for 3 weeks or more not going to force carbonate as find the taste is not as good.

St peters cream stout I will put in fridge and carb with 30/70 mixed Guinness gas and carb up with 35psi and leave for a month or 2. 35 psi was bang on last time I just drank too soon as flavor was not the best drinkable but not perfect. Need to leave longer. Been reading that longer you leave stout to carb and condition in keg the better the flavour am I right in saying.

Will do honey porter with co2 like you said I think. I have 2 kegs and 2 taps on my kegorator. Honey porter will do after other 2 have been drank.

Thanks again really appreciate your advice and help much helped.

Last edited:
I use 70/30 (N2/CO2) at 35 psi through a beast of a Micromatic stout faucet and get a lovely cascade with just the 1.2 volumes of CO2. At 1.4 pours have more foam than I like considering I usually have just a 5-6 ounce short pour so don't want it dominated by head.

If I had never brewed a stout and simply gone by what I've read I would come to the same conclusion that stouts need lots of aging to be good...

Cheers!

A bit of pedantry here: "Forced carbonation" is any time you use bottled CO2 to carbonate, whether it's "set-and-forget" or "burst/accelerated" forced carbonation as opposed to "natural carbonation," which is
carbonating with CO2 generated by fermenting sugar in the beer. The idea that set-and-forget isn't forced carbonation is unfortunately a very common misconception.

You said you didn't want to force carbonate, which led @day_trippr to assume you planned to use natural carbonation, rather than set-and-forget. This is why he mentioned priming sugar. What you really meant was that you didn't want to use an accelerated form of forced carbonation.

Consistent and proper use of terminology helps avoid misunderstandings. Especially when the intended meaning isn't clear from context.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back