It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, that was just a cut and paste of something I wrote, while is was still IN the hospital. I think on Friday.

:mug:

You feeling ok?

Ha, damn.

Not too bad actually. My leg pain is completely gone, which is awesome; I'm still sore from the operation, but that's expected. I'm on some Oxycodone at the moment since I want to get a good night's sleep but I'm definitely not going to need it in the daytime.

How are you feeling?

Revvy, what is your med schedule like, will you be on a load of pills forever, or do you get to ease off most of them after a while and just be on a minimum of meds. My father used to gripe that he had to take so many pills in the morning he didnt have room for breakfast. but he had an artificial valve put in.

Meaty, I'm glad you are on the mend as well, the cheese thread has been too one sided lately.

Revvy, what is your med schedule like, will you be on a load of pills forever, or do you get to ease off most of them after a while and just be on a minimum of meds. My father used to gripe that he had to take so many pills in the morning he didnt have room for breakfast. but he had an artificial valve put in.

Meaty, I'm glad you are on the mend as well, the cheese thread has been too one sided lately.

I take a bunch of blood pressure and cholesteral drugs, and blood rate controlling drugs both after my morning bolus of food, then a couple more at bedtime, plus the bayer aspirin. And pain killers. I've been gobbling them like popcorn, but I'm gonna try to go a little easier on them today.

Since I've got the oniker valve there are no blood thinners. Or anti rejection meds to contend with. Thank god.

And my understanding is all of these drugs will be played with and tweaked as the weeks progress. I follow up with my cardiologist next tuesday, and then see the surgeon a week later, so I may not even be on the same drugs by the end of the month.

Revvy, good to hear you're on the mend.. Sending some more prayers up for you this morning...

snccoulter.. love the sig quotes... :mug:

Just walked around my sister's living room for 5 straight minutes...I'm a little breathy and sweaty but before surgery even taking a shower would have me to my knees gasping for air and sweating like a pig. Big difference.

Another thing is that I've been retaining water for god knows how long. A lot of this excess weight especially over the last year or more has been fluid. Saturday night in cardiac stepdown I was 306 pounds, today I weighed in at around 286 pounds. And I've been buying size 13 shoes lately. Including the slippers I'm wearing now. 3 weeks ago before going into the hospital they were so tight, now they are floppy and I can fit my thumbs in them....strange, eh?

strange, or awsome?

keepin you on the prayer list, keep on gettin better!

Just walked around my sister's living room for 5 straight minutes...I'm a little breathy and sweaty but before surgery even taking a shower would have me to my knees gasping for air and sweating like a pig. Big difference.

Another thing is that I've been retaining water for god knows how long. A lot of this excess weight especially over the last year or more has been fluid. Saturday night in cardiac stepdown I was 306 pounds, today I weighed in at around 286 pounds. And I've been buying size 13 shoes lately. Including the slippers I'm wearing now. 3 weeks ago before going into the hospital they were so tight, now they are floppy and I can fit my thumbs in them....strange, eh?

Your dehydrating. If only there was some beverage I could think of that would help with this...... ;)

strange, or awsome?

keepin you on the prayer list, keep on gettin better!

I'm just glad I kept my "pre-fat" clothes, since I've had to more clothes over the last few months. I thought it was primarily just from inactivity, now I'm beginning to think a lot of it is water. I'm wondering how long ago the valve started to seriously began to deteriorate I wonder if it was around 3 years ago when I got hit with the flu, It corresponded with this weight gain. So if the valve was seriously going and I've been retaining water I wonder how much of this is "water weight?"

From about my 20th birthday til around the time I got sick, I wore a 36 waist, then suddenly I sprouted up.....hmmm

Sounds like you're on your way to some serious good health... :rockin:

Glad to know that you're doing well. Hopefully you'll be back to brewing soon.

I'm just glad I kept my "pre-fat" clothes, since I've had to more clothes over the last few months. I thought it was primarily just from inactivity, now I'm beginning to think a lot of it is water. I'm wondering how long ago the valve started to seriously began to deteriorate I wonder if it was around 3 years ago when I got hit with the flu, It corresponded with this weight gain. So if the valve was seriously going and I've been retaining water I wonder how much of this is "water weight?"

From about my 20th birthday til around the time I got sick, I wore a 36 waist, then suddenly I sprouted up.....hmmm

Your body is devoting a lot of resources to healing you, so I wouldn't be surprised if you lost a good chuck of weight in the process.

Haven't been around here too long, but I value your posts Revvy (who I only think of as yoda because of your avatar.)

Get well. Get better. Live longer.

Plus I presume he's not drinking beer.

Don't remind me......:(

Hence, in my desperation I was forced to start this thread- So how bad is O'Doul's Amber?

That's what you guys who started the make Revvy beer thread should have come up with, an N/A homebrew challenge. Try using the BYO Magazine article on How to Brew A Great Non-Alcoholic Beer, and make some NA/HB, and I would be the judge.....

*sigh* Oh well, the best laid plans.....

On a different note, I had the first great night sleep last night. I slept straight from midnight to 5:30 am, got up to go to the bathroom, then fell right back to sleep and woke up again around 9:30.

Sounds like you are recovering well Revvy!

The 1st HBT Revvy N/A Homebrew Contest sounds like a challange to me? :D

I'm game, anyone else?

Whelp, I see the cardiologist today for my first post surgery followup. It will be interesting to see if he got the surgeon's report yet and find out about the whole pacemaker thing, if the node really was calcified, or the surgeon nicked it during surgery (which I guess is common) or they nicked it trying to clear some of the calcification. Or if the heart didn't start again purely because it was too swollen from the surgery and if they had waited even longer (which after being on an external pacemaker for 3 days was probably long enough anyway,) if my heart's running on it's own now.

It will be cool to have him assess how good I'm doing. I keep forgetting to notice that I'm breathing better. Right now it's so focused on the pain and healing the chest from the surgery, that the reason FOR the surgery gets a bit lost in the mix.

I've also lost so much fluid weight since the surgery that I think I'm weighing less than when I first ended up at the cardioligost back in July. I've been holding fluid in my lungs for so long. I was 284.8 # at weigh in this morning.....that's quite a ways from the 306 I was on the Saturday before I got released.

I havn't been around much lately to keep up with any news, so i missed this.

Good health, good luck, and to use a quaint old English phrase that is often amusing to American ears.....Keep your pecker up!! :D

Geez, Revvy, your weight loss program sounds a whole lot easier than mine! I actually have to get off my ass and do my workout! But I have lost 35 pounds since October 2010, and more yet to be lost!

Keep healing, Dude! I look forward to a favorable report on your doctor visit today!

glenn514:mug:

Just got back from seeing the cardiologist and running errands. Everything looks good on Dr. Gosselin's end. I have a million other appointments now. Gotta see the pacemaker guy for a system check of that. Have to have a fasting blood test next week. Have to have a stress test in 2 weeks, then see the cardiologist in 3 weeks and he'll then see if it's time for cardiac rehab. But so far he likes what he sees. I see the surgeon next week.

Just a quick shot of Revvy outside his house sporting his new pacemaker:

iron_man.jpg

Don't remind me......:(

Hence, in my desperation I was forced to start this thread- So how bad is O'Doul's Amber?

That's what you guys who started the make Revvy beer thread should have come up with, an N/A homebrew challenge. Try using the BYO Magazine article on How to Brew A Great Non-Alcoholic Beer, and make some NA/HB, and I would be the judge.....

*sigh* Oh well, the best laid plans.....

On a different note, I had the first great night sleep last night. I slept straight from midnight to 5:30 am, got up to go to the bathroom, then fell right back to sleep and woke up again around 9:30.

FYI, I found that Beck's NA and Becks Dark NA are far better than the others. I think I've had them all.

Just a quick shot of Revvy outside his house sporting his new pacemaker:

Ha! If somebody could photoshop Revvy's awesome head of hair on his guy that would be pretty sweet. And fairly accurate, from what I understand :D

Back