It's Beer Thread # 4080

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batches_brew

Reaction score
So I just had my own "It's beer!" moment. I'm planning on racking to secondary tonight so I popped off the airlock for a second to see if the krausen fell. I took a whiff and if that didn't smell like some good beer, I don't know what does.

What a tease. Now I have to wait for another 5 weeks. At least it smells good at this point. Still a lot of ways to screw up from here, but I'm gonna keep on keeping on, trying to be as conscientious about doing my steps right.

:)

Props on the waiting 5 weeks.
I presume that is 2 to clear and condition and 3 to bottle carb.

It's good practice to sample at every stage, going in to the secondary and when bottling.

Never waste a Hydro sample. :)

Well done on the first beer. What is it?

Props on the waiting 5 weeks.
I presume that is 2 to clear and condition and 3 to bottle carb.

Exactly. It's hard to wait, but I'd rather get in the habit of doing things the right way.

I'm a little nervous now but whatever. I'm optimistic and mistakes are to learn from.

It's a Southern English Brown Ale. My OG was 1.041 and my secondary is 1.016. Seems a little high but I don't know what to shoot for. I was hoping for a FG of 1.010 but now I don't know.

It tasted OK but there seemed to be a heavy fruitiness to it. Hopefully that will mellow out during conditioning. I'm not sure how well I kept the temp. It could have been a little high in the seventies for a minute but I kept it at 65-75 most of the time. Hopefully I didn't get too much fluctuation.

Only time will tell.

I'm thinking about doing a hefeweizen next because it's still hot and I hear they do a little better in higher temps.

The high temps can cause esters that have a fruity taste .
It will mellow with age.

You'll probably find the last bottle you drink is the best.

Only one solution.

Brew more!

Congrats on making beer! There's nothing quite like realizing that you've actually done it, except perhaps for taking the first sip of your cold, carbonated brew. A few more weeks and a good chill will do wonders for it.

Back