Issues with Safale-US05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roto

Reaction score
This is the first brew I've used this yeast and have a couple of questions...

I brewed and IPA back on 9/2 and this beer has been in the primary at 68 degrees since. My original gravity was 1.047 and my current gravity is 1.013. Since it's the first time I've used this I'm not sure what kind of attenuation to expect (I'm at 72%, but I've read here on the forums that a lot of people get around 80%)

My issue is that when I take the sample, the first 6 inches are crystal clear(and tastes great) and below that is cloudy and filled with yeast in suspension.

I want to rack this to my secondary to dry hop, but I'm not sure how to proceed...

-Should I give it more time to clear on its own in the primary?

-Cold crash it, transfer, then raise the temperature to dry hop?

-Or something else?

Thanks

I think you'll probably get more out of the dry hops if you cold crash it before you rack to secondary. That way all the yeast in suspension you are talking about won't interfere with the extraction of aroma compounds from your hops.

Many breweries seem to suggest that harvesting as much yeast as possible from their conicals before the dry hop helps with extraction, I suppose because the beer is less saturated. I would assume the same principle applies to us as home brewers. If you decide to do this I would let the temperature rise in secondary while/before you dry hop.

Then, depending if you are using a bag or not, you can cold crash after the dry hop as the other poster suggested to drop the larger hop particles out of the beer before you bottle/keg.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Sorry, I started writing before Pete replied. Guess that's why I don't post often; no need! :mug:

I use 05 all the time and never secondary - dry hop in your primary and then cold crash. I usually do 1-2 days at 40* and it will drop really clear. I siphon carefully to a keg and never need finings and maybe the first 1/2 a pint is cloudy.

Regarding attenuation is this all grain or extract? Expect lower attenuation, higher FG with extract.

I just went back and checked my records. My last 8 extract batches with US-05 averaged 75% apparent attenuation. The low was about 72% and the high was about 78%, but they were clustered pretty close around the average.

Briess publishes the fermentability of their extracts. For example, their light LME claims to be 75% fermentable. I guess the attenuation would depend a lot on the mash temps of the AG vs. the extract.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This was a BIAB batch. I added oranges to the primary, so I wanted to transfer to a secondary before dry hopping. So, my plan now is to wait another day and check gravity again just to be sure it's done. Then I'll cold crash, transfer, raise the temperature, then dry hop.

IMO, racking first would pull a good portion of suspended yeast into secondary. Why not cold-crash first to push yeast out of suspension, then carefully rack to secondary. Just sayin'.

I'd say either way is fine, the crash after dry hopping to help settle the hop material.

I'll ask this because I have never tried - difference if you dry hop at crash/lager temps vs fermentation temps?

Latest posts

Back