Issues with OG...should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaysideBrewer

Reaction score
I just brewed a cream ale recipe I found except with the addition of 1oz orange zest with 5 min left in the boil. The expected OG on the recipe was 1.040 and I'm looking at around 1.080...

Should the orange zest throw it off this much? Or did I mess something up? Note - the hydrometer isn't touching the sides.

I realize that ultimately if the FG is up .040 like the OG was then its a moot point cause they cancel each other out and I'd have the same value...but should I be worried?

ForumRunner_20130316_171138.jpg

ForumRunner_20130316_171331.jpg

I just brewed a cream ale recipe I found except with the addition of 1oz orange zest with 5 min left in the boil. The expected OG on the recipe was 1.040 and I'm looking at around 1.080...

Should the orange zest throw it off this much? Or did I mess something up? Note - the hydrometer isn't touching the sides.

I realize that ultimately if the FG is up .040 like the OG was then its a moot point cause they cancel each other out and I'd have the same value...but should I be worried?

Most recipes if you don't add anymore fermentables then the OG should be right on. If you did a partial boil and top off with water then that's that is why you got an off reading, it's very difficult to get a complete mix of wort/water..... now if you did a full boil then I'm not sure whats going on?!?

Oh and by the way that looks tasty!!!!!

I had 2.5G boil and the added water to bring it to 5G in the carboy but the reading I took was before adding water...would that have been it?

I just got the hydrometer today and brewed the cream ale without orange zest before....tasted awesome!

i had 2.5g boil and the added water to bring it to 5g in the carboy but the reading i took was before adding water...would that have been it?

I just got the hydrometer today and brewed the cream ale without orange zest before....tasted awesome!

ForumRunner_20130316_175544.jpg

Did you get the volume the recipe called for? Because that is waaaaay off. If 1.080 ferments to 73% attenuation, it will finish at 1.019 and 8% alcohol. 1.040 should finish about 1.010 and 4%. What's the recipe?

I had 2.5G boil and the added water to bring it to 5G in the carboy but the reading I took was before adding water...would that have been it?

That would do it. You need to take the reading just prior to adding yeast after you've topped off to 5 gallons. I would guess that your OG would be around 1.040.

Did you get the volume the recipe called for? Because that is waaaaay off. If 1.080 ferments to 73% attenuation, it will finish at 1.019 and 8% alcohol. 1.040 should finish about 1.010 and 4%. What's the recipe?

8% Cream Ale...that's not too much of a "lawnmower beer" is it haha

Anyways, yes I did follow the recipe sans the addition of orange zest, that was the only alteration. Very simple extract recipe

3/4lb Gambrinus Honey Malt
1/4lb Belgian Biscuit
6# Pilsen Malt Syrup
1oz Cluster (60 min)
1oz Orange Zest from fresh orange (5 min)

That would do it. You need to take the reading just prior to adding yeast after you've topped off to 5 gallons. I would guess that your OG would be around 1.040.

Ok, I see...so I should be taking the OG reading after I have added the total volume to 5G in the carboy. I thought you just took it straight from the boil (after cooling of course) newbie move with the hydrometer on my part. Although 8% cream ale would be aggressive haha

For future brews should I just siphon some wort+water (5G) and test that?

Thanks!

Yep, take that og once you're at 5 gal, but before adding yeast. You should also be near pitching temp. Specific Gravity decreases with temperature increase. In other words, take og at 70f not 100f.

I like using a sanitized turkey baster to take samples.

Ok, I see...so I should be taking the OG reading after I have added the total volume to 5G in the carboy. I thought you just took it straight from the boil (after cooling of course) newbie move with the hydrometer on my part. Although 8% cream ale would be aggressive haha

For future brews should I just siphon some wort+water (5G) and test that?

Thanks!

Siphon, wine thief, turkey baster, even ladle if you are a bucket. Just make sure that whatever you use, make sure it's sanitized so you don't infect you wort.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. Regardless hopefully it turns out to be a good brew.

Cheers!

Also, make sure you mix well after adding the water so you're sure you don't get a watered down sample...

Back