ISO Advice - Should I dump and start over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
I brewed an American IPA using the AHA's Fresh Squeezed clone recipe:

10 gallon batch (Split into two, 5 gallon glass carboys. One got a pitch of WLP 001 with starter and the other got a pitch of rehydrated US-05)

21 lbs US 2 Row
3 lbs Munich (10L)
1 lbs 8 oz C-80
1 oz Nugget - 60 min
2.2 oz Citra - 15 min
2.10 oz Mosaic - 15 min
1.8 oz Citra - Whirlpool

Target Mash Temp at 152 (I over shot my temp to 158 and it took about 10 minutes to get it back down to 152)

OG: 1.066 (this was also the target, so good here)
Target FG: 1.014

All visible signs of fermentation have stopped. Checked gravity and they are both at 1.018. I think overshooting my mash temp is culprit of fermentation ceasing nearly 4 points shy of the target FG.

Advice/question: Is this salvagable by adding cane or corn sugar to bring down the gravity? As it stands at 1.018, it is very sweet and cloying.

Should I just dump now, rather than invest any more money into a dry hop and trying to get the gravity down a few more points?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I brewed an American IPA using the AHA's Fresh Squeezed clone recipe:

10 gallon batch (Split into two, 5 gallon glass carboys. One got a pitch of WLP 001 with starter and the other got a pitch of rehydrated US-05)

21 lbs US 2 Row
3 lbs Munich (10L)
1 lbs 8 oz C-80
1 oz Nugget - 60 min
2.2 oz Citra - 15 min
2.10 oz Mosaic - 15 min
1.8 oz Citra - Whirlpool

Target Mash Temp at 152 (I over shot my temp to 158 and it took about 10 minutes to get it back down to 152)

OG: 1.066 (this was also the target, so good here)
Target FG: 1.014

All visible signs of fermentation have stopped. Checked gravity and they are both at 1.018. I think overshooting my mash temp is culprit of fermentation ceasing nearly 4 points shy of the target FG.

Advice/question: Is this salvagable by adding cane or corn sugar to bring down the gravity? As it stands at 1.018, it is very sweet and cloying.

Should I just dump now, rather than invest any more money into a dry hop and trying to get the gravity down a few more points?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

DO NOT DUMP! Why would you dump a beer for missing FG by 4 points? That's like not finishing a biscuit because you used up all the gravy!

Don't add cane sugar or any sugar either...4 points is not ruining your beer...dry hop, cold crash package and as always RDWHAHB

:mug:

I wouldn't dump it over 4 points. You're going to dry hop, which will help balance the sweetness, and carbonation is gong to add acidity, which will also lend balance.

Back