Is this used 15 cu. ft. Chest Freezer worth $165?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
Is this used Amana Deep Freeze 15 cu. ft. Chest Freezer worth $165? Found it on Craigs List. The current owner said it works fine and has it turned on now to show me it freezes. He originally asked $250, but after some bargaining he said he'd take $165. My only concern is that it looks kind of old.

I currently have a 7 cu ft chest freezer that i bought new and use as both a fermentation chamber and kegerator, but it's a pain to keep swapping out the kegs when I want to ferment. I only really need a 7 cu ft freezer to ferment two 8 gallon buckets at a time, but figure bigger wouldn't hurt.

I may see if the local used appliance place has a fridge for $100. That'd be easier to get the buckets in and out. Still torn though.

Thoughts?

00909_hO9UpOTtctR_600x450.jpg

00G0G_dRYF5NcgvT7_600x450.jpg

00P0P_hPieuZ38eSD_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_6YouTzBfMJN_600x450.jpg

00W0W_1iSolSmDnQX_600x450.jpg

Great deal in my opinion, hook it up to a temp controller and you will be set. I Have a 7 and 5.2 and wish I had bigger, I use Speidel fermenters and can only fit one in either. I use the 7 as my keezer and it can fit only 3 kegs due to shelf and I need more room for variety and lagering.

Great deal in my opinion, hook it up to a temp controller and you will be set. I Have a 7 and 5.2 and wish I had bigger, I use Speidel fermenters and can only fit one in either. I use the 7 as my keezer and it can fit only 3 kegs due to shelf and I need more room for variety and lagering.

Thanks for your input. I have a 7 cu ft Idilus with a collar I built and I can fit 3 ball lock, 1 pin lock and a 20lb CO2 tank.

I'm still on the fence about buying this. I really don't need 15 cu ft as I only ferment 2 buckets at a time. I could make a gigantic 8 keg kegerator, but I doubt I'd ever have that many beers on tap at once. I could buy a brand new 7 cu ft from Home Depot for $180.

Space is definitely a consideration, if you don't need that much size then go with the smaller one, a shiny new one always looks good if on display and is probably more efficient. I have a 15 lb tank in mine but need to build that collar to fit 1 or 2 more kegs because I like making lagers. Good luck on your purchase.

That looks exactly like an older unit i got and about the same size too.

I personally wouldnt pay more than $100 for it (especially being that old).

I bought 2 chest freezers off craigslist, one is exactly like yours listed that i paid $100 (delivered) and the other is a newer and much bigger 22 cubic foot that i paid $120 delivered.

IMO thats too high for a craigslist freezer, especially that old.

PS: The above poster is right about efficiency too. My older unit like yours uses twice the power (around 400 watts) when running as my newer (and much bigger) one and also takes 3 times as long to cool off. Which is why the older one is my ferm chamber and the newer one is my keezer.

Back