Is this still a Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomagman78

Reaction score
So I made the following recipe this past month and it's about to be bottled. People always ask me what I'm making and sometimes it's hard to say. What would you guys call this? It's a modified version of Yooper's Dairyland Cream Ale, or I think it was Yooper I stole it from.

Fermentables ~1.40OG
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
48% 3 0 American Two-row Pale
16% 1 0 Briess DME Golden Light
16% 1 0 Sugar, Table (Sucrose)
8% 0 8 Briess Carapils
7% 0 7 Flaked Corn (Maize)
4% 0 4 Flaked Barley

Hops: ~22.0IBU
.5oz Cluster 45min
.5oz Cluster 25min
.4oz Cluster 5min

Yeast:
Safale US-05, at about 58*C

Just wondering your thoughts. Pre-carb it smells/tastes fantastic. A light bitterness to it (I like Pale Ales), but low enough that the majority should like it.

I'd call it a cream ale. It's technically more bitter than a cream ale, I think the bjcp guidelines suggest 20 ibu as the top of the range for the style. But it's darn close and its fun to experiment.

Cheers!

Style is relative. Look at Belgians, Gulden Draak's dark tripel, St Bernardus 12 said to be brewed in the traditional dubbel style. These all contradict the bjcp which is just one group's take on what makes a beer different from another. Brew to taste and call it what you see fit.

Back