Is this possible ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PereFecto

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a bit concern because I'm doing a partial mash for the first time and it act really differently from a full malt extrat brew. I'm working on a strong scotch ale, the OG reading on the brew day was 1.080 ( the receipt give 10 pounds of malt extract and 4 pounds of speciality grain ) and now, after only 4 days in the primary fermenter the gravity is at 1.032 ! Is this possible ?

Many thanks

Do you think it should be higher or lower? Higher gravity worts do not absorb oxygen well at all. You have to really aerate them to get good yeast performance.

Hi

I was expecting an higher gravity. It is the third time I'm really taking the OG and FG, so I'm not use to the speed it could change. I'm just wondering if this change, from 1.080 to 1.032 in 4 days is possible. It seem fast, but has I said, I still a noobs in reading the gravity.

Many thanks

Some ferments slog along and take forever. Others just run through the wort like a speeding locomotive! Temperature can have an effect too. If your beer was a little on the warm side, the yeast will work faster as well (but throw off more off flavors and hot alcohols).

Great, I'm actually tasting it right now, and for a first partial mash, I'm particuly proud of it. I can taste the roasted barley pretty well.

Now, to the next question. In the receip it said to let it 38 days into the primary fermenter. Is this needed ? Should I put it into a carboy for 2 week at the end of the first fermentation ?

Many thanks again, you guy are always of a really good help, I really like this forum :mug:

I (and many folks on here) go about 3 weeks in primary. I also go a week in secondary after that, but many folks don't. Longer time in the fermenter is almost always a good thing.

Latest posts

Back