Is this normal with Irish Moss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWAleDad

Reaction score
This is my fourth batch and my first using Irish Moss. after the wort cooled and i was aerating everything looked great. But after a few minutes i noticed that that "clumps" started to form and sink to the bottom. But fermentation has not started and i'm only brewing Ales since i can not control temps for lagers. So my question is, is this normal and will this change the taste of my beer?

This is an extract kit and Irish moss was added 30min left in a 60 min boil.

After aerating:
3499-lucas-wp7-000031.jpg

Before Pitching:
3500-lucas-wp7-000033.jpg

Three Hours after pitching: looks like a yeast cake :(
3501-lucas-wp7-000035.jpg

I only had a few primaries in glass so far and the first one surprised me as well. An hour after pitching, there was this mass of goop in the bottom. A few hours later, it was all lifted and churning around. A week later, it was back at the bottom. I remember expecting that the trub would end up a foot thick at that rate, but in the end it was 'normal' (whatever that means when it comes to beer).

Wow, good to know :) I figured maybe I used too much Irish Moss, but now the more i think about it once fermentation starts (like cms stated) all of this is going to get kicked up again. Guess i should just RDWHAHB!

Not just normal but desirable. As Revvy says, just wait until you try that with an all-grain batch. The term "violent fermentation" will truly make sense then.

Not just normal but desirable. As Revvy says, just wait until you try that with an all-grain batch. The term "violent fermentation" will truly make sense then.

AWESOME! This is my last extract batch before i go all grain, need to get 5 more gallons in the pipeline before taking two weeks off. I'm working on a shopping list this weekend for all grain equipment and finishing "How to Brew" for good measure.

Back