Is this legal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I know selling home brewed beer is illegal and have no such desire but I have a scenario I would like feed back on. At work every year a group of my coworkers out on a chilli feed and silent auction to raise money for a charity. The items up for auction are gift baskets, one is always almost all alcohol of different sorts. This year I was asked to include a few of my beers in the basket, which I gladly did. I am wondering if that qualifies as selling them?

From what I believe, if you aren't getting anything in exchange for the beer, I.e. Money, then you are all good.

The charity gets the money the person pays for it. So it could be concidered selling by some ****** that wants to split hairs.

Depends on the state. CA now has a law that allows a charitable organization to sell homebrew as long as the organization was not created for the promotion of homebrew (e.g. no homebrew clubs).

Those selling baked goods aren't required to make them in a commercial kitchen. The Feds really only care about tax evasion

Depends on the state. CA now has a law that allows a charitable organization to sell homebrew as long as the organization was not created for the promotion of homebrew (e.g. no homebrew clubs).

But don't they still need to get a permit to allow the sale of beer and wine, in other words you can't just go about selling you homebrew and claim it's going to charity.

Back