Is this good for my first beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Nurmey! Now...because this only takes 6 weeks and makes 5 gallons (right?) will I just need a 5 gallon carboy,stopper,airlock,and bottling supplies? Or is there other stuff that is needed?

Thanks Nurmey! Now...because this only takes 6 weeks and makes 5 gallons (right?) will I just need a 5 gallon carboy,stopper,airlock,and bottling supplies? Or is there other stuff that is needed?

You're going to want a bigger fermenter. It makes 5 gallons, but because of the headspace it'll need, you'll want either a 6.5 gallon carboy, or a 6.5 gallon bucket for it to ferment. You'll need the stopper (if using a carboy), airlock, siphoning equipment (get an autosiphon- trust me on that!), bottling wand, sanitizer, and bottle caps.

Look at getting an equipment kit, it has pretty much all you need to start out with. Then you can add pieces as you move on to bigger and better things.

This will be my first beer but I already make wine. So, I plan to buy a 6.5 gal carboy or bucket,larger siphon,caps/bottles,capper.I have corn sugar I used in my first apfelwein a couple days ago so i can use that to prime. I have a few questions though...

1.For the 6.5 gal fermentor--glass carboy,better bottle,or brew bucket? Are any of these better than the other? Do the brew buckets/better bottles hold smells/flavors?
2.Has anyone every made a high abv beer (around 10-12%) and not primed it...and aged it like a wine? If so what does this taste like and how long should it be aged? Should it be cleared (bentonite/sparkloid)?
3.Can beer bottles I have already drank be reused? (coors,corona,blue moon,etc..)

Thanks

This will be my first beer but I already make wine. So, I plan to buy a 6.5 gal carboy or bucket,larger siphon,caps/bottles,capper.I have corn sugar I used in my first apfelwein a couple days ago so i can use that to prime. I have a few questions though...

1.For the 6.5 gal fermentor--glass carboy,better bottle,or brew bucket? Are any of these better than the other? Do the brew buckets/better bottles hold smells/flavors?
2.Has anyone every made a high abv beer (around 10-12%) and not primed it...and aged it like a wine? If so what does this taste like and how long should it be aged? Should it be cleared (bentonite/sparkloid)?
3.Can beer bottles I have already drank be reused? (coors,corona,blue moon,etc..)

Thanks

1. I like the plastic buckets for primary fermentation for a few reasons (cheaper, easier to clean, handle, etc), but many say glass is technically 'better'. Five gal Better Bottles or carboys make great secondary fermenters if you choose to secondary your beers.

2. I have no experience with this one...

3. Absolutely! Just NOT twist off bottles. They need to be be pry-top (the thicker gauge bottle the better, but any will do). Soak in Oxyclean to remove the labels, clean, and then sanitize before bottling.

Cheers!

Bucket it is.Saving $ is always a plus! ;) I will also be saving my (and my friends) bottles. I think i might find an easy/cheap beer recipe to try a "beer wine" as a test.

Question: If this raspberry wheat kit only takes 6 weeks will it need a secondary fermentation?

Thanks

Just as a warning, if you use corona bottles you absolutely have to make sure that your beer is kept away from any UV light because the clear bottles will offer you no protection. You could use craigslist to find some or freecycle.com if PA doesn't have a deposit on bottles if you need more pry-off brown bottles. I have never paid for bottles, but I had to ask around to get enough bottles for my first batch.

okay I will just not use the corona bottles.I may use them for cider.So LiquidCourage said just keep it in the primary for a month...but the kit says 6 weeks.Do you have to keep it in the fermentor for that whole time or do you just test the gravity and when its "dry" you prime/bottle?

You can use the Corona bottles if you're diligent about not exposing them to light.

The kit instructions assume you do a secondary. I don't think you have to, as the raspberry is added when bottling (vs. putting fruit in the secondary and racking beer on top). The kit's six weeks include primary, secondary and bottling combined, I think.

We can argue over how long in primary. I think three weeks might suffice for this beer. But it isn't only a question of the gravity. The yeast will keep "working" after FG is hit. If you hit FG in 4 days, I still wouldn't bottle that soon.

Okay thanks.Still a little confused though..how do i know when to bottle? Reach the FG and then wait a few weeks?

If I were you I would just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks (probably closer to three, given the recipe and the fact that it's your first batch and waiting is hard) and then bottle. I try to minimize gravity readings too so I don't have to keep opening it up, so I would do one at 2-2.5 weeks and another at bottling to make sure that you are at your target and that fermentation is complete.

Thanks.Do you think if i went to a restaurant or a bar that they would give me used beer/wine bottles? Also..has anyone tried the dishwasher sterilizing method?

Thanks.Do you think if i went to a restaurant or a bar that they would give me used beer/wine bottles? Also..has anyone tried the dishwasher sterilizing method?

I've heard of people getting their bottles from restaurants so that's a good thing to try if you don't have enough friends who drink beer in pry off bottles. I have also heard of people sanitizing in the dishwasher and have started doing that myself. I have only had two bottles from my first dishwasher sanitized batch but they were both good. It saves a lot of time, that's for sure.

Ask around, see what your friends drink, I have friends who are big Sam Adams drinkers (so am I), those bottels are perfect.

I've told all of my friends to save their bottles. I think i will go see if i can pick some bottles up from a restaurant soon.
Hoppymonkey:Glad to hear this kit comes out well.I think i will do what you did and just flavor half of it.Thanks for the idea!
I also think i will try the dishwasher sanitizing method sometime.I might also order some stuff to make an experimental "beer wine"...any ideas on what to use and how to go about doing this? Ingredients? Aging time? Id like to hear any suggestions anyone has on this.
Thanks

I have the NB raspberry wheat kit in primary right now (brewed Monday) and will be in primary for 3 weeks without a secondary.

I started brewing in January. I ordered the NB "Better Basic Starter Kit" and the American Wheat extract kit as a Christmas present to myself. The kit comes with fantastic instructions that walk you through setting everything up, brewing, fermentation and bottling. There wasn't a question I had that couldn't be answered off the 1 page instructions from Northern Brewers kit. Beer turned out great!

Here is a pic of the wheat ale:
GrumpyGrizWheatAlePic.jpg

No - the kits do not come with labels. I designed the label myself, printed with a laserjet printer on heavy paper and glued onto the bottles using an Avery glue-stick.

Back