Is this bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slicknick

Reaction score
Hey all,

The lines along the side, and the cloudy portion at the bottom are new and strange to me.

is there any cause for concern here? I was just going to bottle it and drink it if it doesn't taste/smell funky, but figured I should ask the experts.

The recipe is just fresh juiced apples (pasteurized) and some ale yeast.

Thanks in advance for any help.

CAM00040.jpg

I would recommend waiting and letting it actually clear... or using finings to for clear but to answer your question. no. it's not bad, it's just the shmutz (technical term) falling out of suspension. If you wait, it'll be clear when it's time to bottle. where did you get your juice?

EDIT:

It also doesn't quite look done fermenting fwiw.

What is this finings? I don't know that it will clarify very much. I have an apple tree, so there is plenty of juice to be made. It tends to oxidize a bit during the (several hour) juicing and pasteurizing process, and I only filter it through a hop bag, so it is never crystal clear.

Thanks for the information about yeasts. I typically use an Edinburgh Ale, and this year decided on the "Dry English Ale" beast, which I guess has been pretty popular in my area this year according the the brew store gurus.

finings, you can either use gelatin finings (can be found at LHBS) or isinglass, i've used both when i can't wait to drink but the other thing is that if you have apple tree, i wouldn't worry about oxidation over the several hour pressing. it will crystal clear with either of the above of a good floculating yeast i.e., red star montrachet, cote des blanc or champagne.

So I guess a follow up question would be how long you expect the fermentation to last before it clears.
I typically give it about 3-4 weeks before bottling.. Full disclosure, I have never really done the research on "proper" creation of cider. Never been disappointed though

As in all things there isn't a "proper" way to do anything. I'd ferment out and let sit until all the crud settles and it's clear. It takes anywhere from 4 weeks to two months; really.

No problem, feel free to reach out of you have any more questions. I'm no expert but I haven't died from anything I've made.

You'd also be surprised what a racking can do for clearing it. It just looks to me like the settling yeast is getting caught up on a carboy you didn't clean well enough (rings) and there's some rings from previous batches still leaving a little texture for them to get stuck on...doesn't mean you didn't sanatize it well enough, but I'd say rack it and give that carboy a good scrubbing with a brush.

The rings typically settle like that because of the natural internal shape of the carboy. I wouldn't sweat it but agree, transfer.

Back