Is this an extract or mash recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
I am about to brew this puppy, and suddenly I realised that it is asking for a lot of water at a specific temp. Is this a partical mash recipe? I was planning on just steeping the grains, do I really need to rinse them with exact temp water?

Recipe posted by "wild" for swartzbier
6 lbs. LME
1 lb. Caramunich (40°L)
1 lb. Carapils or Dextrin-Type Malt
4 oz. Roasted barley
1¾ oz. Hallertau hops 3.5% alpha-acid (5¼ AAU)
1 oz. Hallertau hops 3.5% alpha-acid (3½AAU)
2 pt. Starter of Bavarian Lager Yeast (1 pkg. Wyeast 2206 or White Labs WLP-830)
⅔ cup Corn sugar for priming

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.008
SRM: 30
IBU: 26

Start with 5 gallons of water in boil kettle. Steep crushed grains at 150°F for 30 minutes. Remove bag and rinse with enough 168°F water to make 5½ gallons. Add extract. Total boil time is 60 minutes. At beginning of boil add Hallertau hops and continue for 45 minutes. Add second Hallertau and boil for remaining 15 minutes. Whirlpool and cool to 45°F to pitch starter. Ferment and condition as above.

Brewonboard

Looks like an extract with steeping grains recipe. The rinsing is done as a sort of sparge, to get as much off the grains as possible. Don't think the temp of the rinse would be that big of a deal, but you don't want to go too hot.

Extract with steeping grains, with a full boil to get full hop utilization. If you can't do full boils, then the hop utilization will go down. If that bothers you, you will need more hops.

Or save some of the extract for the end of the boil to increase utilization enough to make up for it.

So is that what late extract editions are all about? You get better hop utilization?

I will be brewing in my brand spankin' new 3gal stainless stock pot that my wifey just bought for me. So I figure I'll only have 2.5gals max of wort. How does one adjust hops for utilization??

So if it's extract, what's with sparging the grains with a specific temp of water anyway?

BrewOnBoard

Mini-mash - "Steep crushed grains at 150°F for 30 minutes." The 150F is the main clue and dextrin malts have to be mashed to get much out of them besides starch. The Caramunich should do the job.

According to BeerSmith, none of those grains have any diastatic power. So, there are no enzymes present to mash anything. It's just a steep.

You want to get them to about the temp indicated - they had to write something in the recipe. Then sparge a bit hotter, as the sugars etc are more soluble in hot water. Don't go too hot though, or you'll extract tannins. Never boil grain!

A steep and a mini-mash have basically the same process. So, if you master steeping, stepping up to a mini-mash is just a matter of switching out some extract for a base grain like 2-row.

So is that what late extract editions are all about? You get better hop utilization?

I will be brewing in my brand spankin' new 3gal stainless stock pot that my wifey just bought for me. So I figure I'll only have 2.5gals max of wort. How does one adjust hops for utilization??

So if it's extract, what's with sparging the grains with a specific temp of water anyway?

BrewOnBoard

Late extract additions are both to adjust the gravity of the boil and also to keep the extract from darkening in a long boil. In your case, since you're doing roughly half the volume, I'd add half the extract at the start and half at the end. Should get you in the ballpark at least.

Mini-mash - "Steep crushed grains at 150°F for 30 minutes." The 150F is the main clue and dextrin malts have to be mashed to get much out of them besides starch. The Caramunich should do the job.

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.
All of the grains listed here are crystal/caramel malts that have been "stewed" by the malster. Meaning, mashing was essentially done in the hull. The sugars inside do not need to be mashed to be extracted, only rinsed with hot water to put them into solution. Most people recommend that that rinsing be done with hot water (for obvious reasons) but not too hot, or you start to extract husky astringent flavors. Thus: rinse at 150.

According to BeerSmith, none of those grains have any diastatic power. So, there are no enzymes present to mash anything. It's just a steep.

You want to get them to about the temp indicated - they had to write something in the recipe. Then sparge a bit hotter, as the sugars etc are more soluble in hot water. Don't go too hot though, or you'll extract tannins. Never boil grain!

A steep and a mini-mash have basically the same process. So, if you master steeping, stepping up to a mini-mash is just a matter of switching out some extract for a base grain like 2-row.

Great thanks for the info! I'll brew as directed.

Cheshire cat, thanks for explaining the late extract principle. I've heard many extol it's virtues but it's nice to know why it's a good thing. I wonder though, in my case, since I'm going for a dark lager perhaps I should put it all in at the beginning. Will definitely give the late edition a go at some point.

BoB

Latest posts

Back