Is this an American Blonde? Existential Crisis.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
can I get some feedback on this recipe to tell me if it fits 18A American blonde? or if it fits something else better. it was a bit of a odd and end cleanup.

3 gallon batch 11 litres
1.59 kg 2 row
34 g 6 row
28g pale malted wheat
25g vienna
43g flaked maize
3 g chinook 13%AA FWH 6 IBU
18g Hallertauer 6% AA 10 Min 9 IBU

OG 1.037
FG 1.008
2.7 Vols carbonation
4% ABV

calculated SRM is 2.4 it's probably 3.

fermented with a mix of w-34/70 and S-04 that was pitched after the 34/70 wasn't showing signs of life, but a starter from another sample of 34/70 from the same batch showed it was still viable.

my palate isn't great, but what I got from the flat and warmish hydro sample was this. malty sweet, light bitterness, no overt hoppy aroma or flavour. fairly smooth, maybe med light body.

I'm hoping to submit this to a competition upcoming and I want to make sure I get in into the right Category. I think I may even have fixed my astringency issues.

any help is appreciated. The recipe name right now is Existential Crisis, because I don't know what it is.

The malty sweetness will probably fade a bit with carbonation. To me, looks like it fits.

The malty sweetness will probably fade a bit with carbonation. To me, looks like it fits.

thanks.

my OG and my IBU were both at or just below the bottom edge of the threshold, but I don't know how much that might ding me or be picked up on.

Yeah or possibly a modern light mild. Perhaps a bit fizzy for that :) Don;t know if there is a BJCP category for that though

The corn addition says 'cream ale' to me also. Not that that is bad but to me is what distinguishes it from a blonde ale. I have used a small amount (5-10%) of crystal 10 or Vienna before in my version.

I think I'm going to have to get someone I trust to taste it and tell me what it tastes like to them.
I know it has corn in it, but really it's only 2.5% of the grain bill. Is that even something that's going to show up from a flavour/aroma perspective?

Back