Is this 2 year old sour safe to taste/drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsForDays

Reaction score
http://imgur.com/a/AARSe

I read American Sours two years ago and got very excited about brewing sour beer. I decided to brew two that I would let sit for a year. Well that year just became two years and I have yet to taste either one. They both smell a bit like balsamic (naturally i'm hope they resemble dutchesse de bourgogne) however, i'm wondering if these are even safe to drink/keg/bottle? I know norm is that beer, for the most part, is safe to drink but with the extended time on these two I'm not sure.

I think it will be okay to test. Typically, you're on the look out for green or black on the surface which I don't see.

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be.
Lambic breweries age beer 3 years before blending geuze and that's usually in a barrel which would let in a lot more air than your non-porous glass fermentor.

i would try them, without hesitation.

your description of a balsamic smell may be a sign that you have acetobacter in there. aceto needs O2, which that headspace and 2+ years (no seal is perfect) likely provided for it. hopefully it's not too strong (for you) and you'll have some awesome sour beer on hand.

Back