Is there a trend against crystal malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, it would behoove me to pitch pretty heavily, because the reproductive phase is the worst for off flavors........... Right?

H.W.

I don't follow how pitching more yeast makes for more nutrient. I would consider nutrient supplementation at the very least.

I don't follow how pitching more yeast makes for more nutrient. I would consider nutrient supplementation at the very least.

From what I understand, the nutrients in question are primarily consumed during the reproduction phase. I know from experience that with the problems I have with temp control (no temp controlled ferm chamber), a heavy pitch gives me a cleaner beer. What is and what is not an "off" flavor depends on what you are trying to do......... "Off Flavors" are in if you are brewing a Belgian. Any flavor produced by the yeast could be defined as "off"....depending on what you are brewing.

H.W.

The ultimate test would be to figure out an exbeeriment brulosopher could do where you have a triangle test to see if people could tell the difference between a beer with and without crystal malt added.

Maybe two belgian golden ales. One uses a crystal/caramel malt for color and straight cane sugar to hit gravity. Second beer, same base malt, no specialty malts, and darker candi sugar to reach the same gravity *and* color. This is about as creative as I can be on a way to test two beers against each other in a triangle test, where the color is close, the gravity is similar, the malt bill is the same, but the color is derived from different sources to see if theres a statistical difference (enough people select the odd beer out) and if they can detect the difference.

Or a IPA on the darker side (closer to 15 SRM) but using the same candi sugar in one, and crystal in the other with very simple malt bills in both.

Latest posts

Back