Is there a style of beer you DON'T like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estricklin

Reaction score
Ok ya that is kind of a loaded question. I personally can't seem to get into the IPAs. I notice everyone on this forum it seems is brewing an IPA of some sort and I've tried quite a few and don't care much for them. Not sure what is wrong with me. I love Porters, Stouts, red ales, bocks....really anything except IPA. Maybe somebody can recommend an IPA that isn't so harsh? I'd love to be able to say I've brewed one.

Oh and it feels good to get that off my chest.

I like beers with wheat as a small percentage of the grain bill, but I'm still not a huge fan of anything that is considered a "wheat beer", whether it's German, Belgian, American, or whatever.

estricklin said:
Ok ya that is kind of a loaded question. I personally can't seem to get into the IPAs. I notice everyone on this forum it seems is brewing an IPA of some sort and I've tried quite a few and don't care much for them. Not sure what is wrong with me. I love Porters, Stouts, red ales, bocks....really anything except IPA. Maybe somebody can recommend an IPA that isn't so harsh? I'd love to be able to say I've brewed one.

OMG!! This feels good!! Most IPAs I don't like.. I have tried!! & I have tried!! Dang, I have tried! I just don't like them... Too bitter... Maybe in time I will grow to like them... As far as now... I don't...

to those who dislike "anything with wheat:"

Surely you don't mean any beer with wheat/rye in the grist...That would rule out a ton of excellent commercial beers...black butte porter and great divide's hoss are just a couple of beers that come to mind

Is it safe to say that "anything with wheat" translates to Hefe, roggenbier, Dunkelweizen, wit and weizenbock? Could it just be wit/weizen yeast that you all are not into?

just a thought

I haven't found many that I don't like. If I had to pick one though, I'd have to say Cheap American lagers (ie: old Milwaukee, natty light, keystone light, etc).

Well I have to say it: I DONT LIKE LAMBICS, I'm sure that a lot of people it's going to desagree with me but I found no joy in drinking beer with that much vinager and barnyard notes... and I gave them more than one shot I've been in Brussels a few times and I didn't enjoy any of the Cantillon or 3 Fonteinen: is not an adversion to sour beers only lambics and family

Brown ale. I've tried a number of recipes, currently have a Turbodog clone in the fermenter, and if this doesn't yield anything better I am about to give up.

I dont like sour Lambics. Or Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. that crap is disgusting. other then that, I'm pretty open to all other styles. I LOVE IPAs though.

Wit beers...absolutely terrible

I'm starting to come around on some Belgian styles...not my faves, but at least I am appreciating them more.

Oh yeah...almost forgot...Marzen/Octoberfest... Not sure what it is, but I have not had any that I've enjoyed.

I'd have to say that I am surprised at how many people don't like wheat beers. I am a huge fan of most beers and I don't think there is a style I wouldn't drink twice, at least not one that I have run into yet.........unless you wanted to include malt liquor :)

For me presonally, about 80% of IPAs (mostly the american styles are my most hated) and 95% of wheat beer (however I do enjoy Erdinger's Weissbier.

I know most beer folks love IPA but for me its one of my few hated styles.

I don't think there is a style that I don't like, but when given the choice I will rarely order a hefe.

Wits. Just flat out horrible.

I'm curios about the hatred for IPA though. I love IPA but don't like pale ales. However I like British Bitters. So I would say to see where your tastes are at and you might find something you like. Possibly you might go the opposite and like English IPA and American Pale ale.

I'm not the biggest fan of wheat beers... though I did just bottle a hefeweizen so it can't be that bad. I've found that since I started brewing I've opened up to tons of different styles that I would have passed on or thought were bad before. I am so fascinated by the whole process that I am actively seeking out and wanting to brew styles that previously I had no interest in.

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like IPA's! Gimme a scotch ale or a doppelbock anytime! :mug:
Regards, GF.

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like IPA's! Gimme a scotch ale or a doppelbock anytime! :mug:
Regards, GF.

I used to not like them, and I'm still not into super bitter ones, but I started getting into hoppy beers with Sam Adams Noble Pils. It's not really bitter or even all that hoppy, but it was the first hop-forward beer I liked. IPAs came around after that. Have y'all tried DFH? Their IPAs seem a little more ballanced to me.

Or, just brew some IPAs yourself with toned down bitterness/hopiness to easy into the style.

I hate light lagers. I'll hardly make myself drink one even if it's free, unless it's just a water substitute.

Ohh, and these summer ales which sell themselves as "blondes", or "hefeweizens" which have zero taste what-so-ever. I'm looking at you Pyramid and Harpoon!

Most lagers
Rye beers
Faro, but I like the rest of the lambics
Rauchbier
Berliner Weisse
Radlers taste good, but you might as well drink soda pop.

Any beer that surpasses my bitterness threshold of 60-70 IBU.

I don't care for scotch ales, light american lagers or rauchbiers. Sours and belgians have grown on me though.

I think I'm the only one I've ever met, but I just don't like Abbey style belgian's. I like pretty much everything else, including the boring (wheats, browns, lagers) and the extreme (lambics, sours, etc), just not abbey's. I also like other belgian styles like Flanders and wits, it's just something about the yeast. I also generally don't like "Belgian style IPA's" and whatnot where another style of beer is made with that yeast. I just generally don't like that yeast, I guess.

Smoked Porters. Blech!

Also not a fan of fruit beers, but admittedly have not tried one in quite some time. Now that summer is pretty much in full swing, might give 'er another go.

Back