Is stirring during dough-in necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcruse

Reaction score
I've been pondering an automated brew setup, and one area I always trip over is how to handle the dough-in. It's conventional wisdom that you need to stir the mash to eliminate dough-balls....but none of the appliance-level automated systems do that (Picobrew, Grainfather, Brewie, etc.)

So it begs the question, if you recirculate the wort in your mash, do you ever really need to stir it? I'm assuming the answer is no, but would like to hear from some people who have either fully automated their systems, or use a brewing appliance like those mentioned above as to the impact of not stirring the mash.

I may be wrong, but I think that those systems may start with a water temp that is lower than would cause dough balls to form.

I remember a podcast that Kai did on decoction mash and during the podcast he added water directly to the grain and it did not form dough balls and he said the reason is that the water temp was slow enough to prevent it. Perhaps these systems start low and then quickly ramp up as the wort starts circulating.

I know every time I have added water to grain, then stirred the mash I found and broke used dough balls. I gravity feed my water into the mash tun from above.

Maybe if you infuse water from the bottom up (through your manifold, false bottom, braid, etc) it makes a difference. I do not know.

That's a good question. I figured I would have to stir even though it will recirculate. Subscribed to see the actual answer. :)

Subscribed to see the answer as well. I am a novice who just bought a Brau Supply Mini system (2.5 to 3 gallon). You add the grain after the water reaches strike temp, although I suppose that could be changed.

I've made two batches so far. I stirred the first batch a little and made my efficiency and OG numbers, but made a variety of other mistakes. I asked Steven at Brau Supply who said he never stirs and gets much better efficiency than I do. So, I did not stir the second time. I also left the lid off far more this time and boiled off far more than expected. When I topped up to volume (I now think I should have topped to expected OG instead), I missed my number by a fairly wide mark. I am also making some mistakes with my temperature control, so I do not think my experience is especially meaningful to this point.

I started adding the mash water from the bottom of the grain bed after watching a video in which Bobby at Brewhardware recommended it. No more dough balls, even with a Marris Otter grain bill. Just add through the MLT drain valve through the false bottom. Results in a gentle soaking of the grain.

I have still been stirring for good measure, but it's probably not necessary.

I started adding the mash water from the bottom of the grain bed after watching a video in which Bobby at Brewhardware recommended it. No more dough balls, even with a Marris Otter grain bill. Just add through the MLT drain valve through the false bottom. Results in a gentle soaking of the grain.

I have still been stirring for good measure, but it's probably not necessary.

Im going to try this...I have been adding the water to my MT and then slowly stirring in my grain each time but I imagine the method you use would be less disruptive to the grain sitting on the false bottom as well?

Im going to try this...I have been adding the water to my MT and then slowly stirring in my grain each time but I imagine the method you use would be less disruptive to the grain sitting on the false bottom as well?

If you stir, don't touch it till all the grain is wet. Bobby was using a keggle with a false bottom and 120V pump. (I looked for the video, but all I could find were his ones where he added the water first. Maybe it wasn't Bobby.) I use a cooler with a cpvc manifold, sometimes with a 24V pump, and sometimes gravity. Open the valve and walk off. Perfect mash in every time.

Back