Is my propane burner still safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
I'm just starting a brew day, and my propane burner was getting my water up to strike temp whilst I got the grains etc ready.

I went back out to see how it was going and instead of the normal sound it make I could hear like a fierce flame sound like a plumbers gas torch.

I then notice that the burner had gone out and instead the flame was down in the air intake where the hose comes in from the gas bottle. I immediately turned the gas off and got away for a few minutes just in case.

I'm now wondering if I should re light it, and when I went back over I noticed that the gas tube where it attaches on the burner looks like the attached photo.

Thanks

20170126_090456.jpg

Your burner is likely dirty and fouled, causing the flame to jump back to the air orifice.

I would try cleaning the burner, and replace the hose if needed....can't really see how damaged it is in the photo.

Another option might be to cut a few inches of the damaged section off the hose and reattach.

Your burner is likely dirty and fouled, causing the flame to jump back to the air orifice.

I would try cleaning the burner, and replace the hose if needed....can't really see how damaged it is in the photo.

Another option might be to cut a few inches of the damaged section off the hose and reattach.

Thanks for the reply. I aborted the brew day yesterday so will give it a good clean and cut off the damaged section as you said, and perhaps proceed with caution just at first.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back