Is my LME bad????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
This is only my second batch of wheat beer. I ordered a bulk pack of LME about three weeks ago. It has been sitting in my basement at about 70F.

I did the normal steeping @ 158F in 1 gallon water for ½ hr, while I raised 5 gallons in my brew pot to 170F. Then I dunked the grain bag in the 5 gallons for a couple minutes. Then, in the gallon of steeped water I dissolved 5.5lbs of wheat LME, and add it to the brewpot.

Now after stirring for a few minutes and letting it sit I notice that it looks like aggressively fermenting wort. There are little flake like things floating around everywhere. Not just a few but Lots, almost like millions of little bubbles. They also get smaller as it boils. I have never seen this before, so I thought I would consult the experts. Yes, the brew pots were cleaned and well rinsed before I began.

If I were guessing it is somehow related to it being “wheat” LME. Either way it’s going to be beer in the end, but I have 6.6 more lbs of amber LME to brew next weekend. I have yet to dump any beer, but LME is expendable, and if I buy bulk again it will be DME. Vacuum sealers rule…

Any thoughts on the trub like stuff????

Thanks and sorry for the long post...

If it was during the boil/steep, it was probably just hot break. That's the long strings of proteins doing their thing and it's perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about, all it is is just pretty.

And wheat extract has more protein that barley, that's why it gives good head retention.

Latest posts

Back