Is my fermenting temp too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrew77

Reaction score
I just got back into brewing. I bought a American wheat kit and a honey wiezen kit from northern brewer. The instructions on both kits say the optimum fermentation temp is 54-74 degrees. I live in AZ so my house stays at 78 degrees in the day and 72 degrees at night. Is that ok or is it too hot?

that's too hot. fermentation is exothermic. you can expect the inside of the carboy/bucket to be 8-12 degrees warmer than ambient. quick search on here for swamp cooler will do wonders for you.

wet shirt wrapped around the bucket, ice in a water bath, et cetera...

generally speaking, that's going to be too hot. it depends on the yeast strain you are using and what characteristics you are hoping to get out of it.

That is going to be too hot for ideal flavor. Fermentation temperature is usually at least 2 degrees hotter than ambient temp. If your house is 78 degrees during the day, then your beer is probably fermenting at 80 or 81 degrees. You will still make beer, but it will not be as good as it could be, and will likely have some "off flavors" due to the high temps. I suggest researching "swamp cooler" on this site for a cheap (nearly free!) way to manage fermentation temperatures.

Essentially, get a container that is waterproof, and large enough to put your fermentation bucket or carboy inside. Fill the larger container with water to roughly the same level as the beer in the fermenter. Freeze a couple of 2 liter soda bottles full of water. Place one frozen bottle in the water each morning, and swap out with the melted ice bottle with the other frozen one at dinner time each evening. Swap again the next morning, and so on... This will usually drop fermentation temperatures several degrees, and maintaining a steady 65 degrees is fairly easy with this method. This way you can keep the temps ideal without spending a bunch of money, or a ton of effort. Temperature control is probably the single biggest thing you can do as a homebrewer to make the best quality beer. You will be surprised what a difference it makes.

I live in AZ and use the swamp cooler method listed above. This is what you will need to do to make sure you are at the right temps or get a separate fridge with a temp controller for the easiest/best option. Mid to low 60's is ideal for most all ale yeast IMO. Get an aquarium thermometer to place on the fermentor as well to help gauge the temps. My first batch fermented at an ambient of 75f and that is the only batch that came out bad and still had off flavors 2 months later by the time it was all consumed.

54-74 degrees, as drummerboyseth said, ambient room temperature is less than the temp in your active fer-mentor, I have my brew room (laundry room) air conditioned (window A/C) it stays at 68, so my ales ferment at the high end of the recommendations, but if that room was like the rest of my house (86 today) it would be fermenting way to hot, still making beer, but the yeast would be stressed and probably create a not so great tasting beer. Swamp cooling, a keezer, or air conditioning for an Arizona brewer is a must. PS, spent many happy days in LHC, most of them on the water, with beer, and women. :p

Set those yeasts in your fridge and pick up a saison yeast, if possible, and you have no means for cooling yet. 78 is a good temp for a saison. If you can easily set up a cooling method, thats a better route. Although saison is awesome this time of year.

As Mikey says, Saisons would be good for the temp. I feel your pain, as i'm in AZ as well. I recently snagged the 52 bottle wine fridge at home depot for 150, so you could look into that as well. It will fit a carboy, i fit 2 3 gal better bottles in mine.

Back