Is my fermentation chamber too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Good day folks,

I just started using a freezer hooked up to a Johnson Controls temp controller about 6 or so months ago with AMAZING results. (It's funny how just controlling your temps better turns your good beer into GREAT!)

So we are getting into the cooler months and I am dealing with a problem I hadn't even anticipated. It is cold enough in my garage that the temps in the freezer are dropping into the upper 50's/lower 60's. This isn't horrible I know but I can see it getting a lot colder.

So I will be investing in a two stage Ranco to heat next year but for now I threw a small lamp in the bottom of it with a 60 watt bulb. Hey, Ed Wort does it, right?

So here's my question.

The ambient temps inside my freezer are reaching 70-75 degrees which keeps it warm. I am measuring my wort temps with the johnson controls probe taped to the side of the bucket, with cardboard taped over the top of it, with a (clean) hand towel taped over that! I am pretty certain I am measuring the temp of the wort at this point and it is staying within the ranges I need. I keep it about 65F. I realize I am measuring the temp at the point on the bucket where the probe touches.

With the ambient air temp at 70-75F does anyone feel there is danger of "high temp" tastes due to warmer spots in the bucket even if the wort temp reflects lower?

Thanks in advance!

So here's my question.

How long has it been since you pitched your yeast?

The off flavors from fermenting too warm happen durning the fast part of the ferment and that is usually over in 3 to 4 days. After that period you can let your beer come to room temperature without any off flavors.

It hasn't even been 24 hours. I don't even have activity yet. If I don't boost the temp a bit though, I never will;)

Latest posts

Back