Is krasuen an indicator of a healthy brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegocal

Reaction score
I am at present fermenting my first batch ever and it looks like it is going great, the bubbles in the airlock happen every 2-3 seconds (it's a different airlock than I've seen in pictures though so that measurement probably isn't a great indication.) The only concern I have is that there is very little krausen, there are at any given time maybe 15 big bubbles (about 1-2 inches across) and the top is almost covered in a 1 bubble thick layer of small ones (about the size of a carbonation bubble) which from looking on the internet seems like a small amount.

My gut feeling is that something within the brew its self is just not conducive to the formation of bubble. Maybe an oil or some other chemical which breaks surface tension.

also the temperature has consistently been pretty low, so last night I carefully moved it (no splashes, etc) to a warmer room, but I have no idea if that makes any difference.

But it still makes me wonder if one of the big heavy 4 inch thick foaming out the top krausens you see in pictures is normal/healthy?

I brewed 2 batches so far, both have been 1.042 OG so small beers. Both have had very small krausen on top, nothing like the 3-4" you see on this site. Every beer is different, as long as you have it sealed tightly and no oxygen is getting in, and your hydrometer readings show signs of fermentation (take a week after pitching) you're good.

My first batch, the airlock vented co2. My second batch hasn't vented through the air lock once, but that doesn't mean it isn't fermenting. Different yeasts, different strokes :)

Three questions. How long has it been since you pitched? How much yeast did you pitch? How low was the temp before you moved it?

If you don't pitch a healthy amount of yeast, it can take time for a vigourous fermentation to get going. The low temp can have an effect depending on the yeast.

Ultimately, as said, krausen and bubbling in the airlock aren't an indication of fermentation. The change in gravity is the only sure way to check.

Temperature could be a factor, but it's relative. If you were in a 70+ degree room to begin with, it probably won't change much to move to a warmer room (aside from possibly producing some less-than-desirable flavors, depending on the type of beer). If you were in a lower-60s room, that could be causing the yeast to take longer than normal to get vigorous.

Regardless, I'd recommend do some searching around the site about making starters to avoid under-pitching in the future, especially if you're making higher OG beers.

Three questions. How long has it been since you pitched? How much yeast did you pitch? How low was the temp before you moved it?

I pitched afternoon on the 18th so its been about 3 days now

If you don't pitch a healthy amount of yeast, it can take time for a vigorous fermentation to get going. The low temp can have an effect depending on the yeast.

It was actually a kit and it cam with a small pack of yeast, it didn't say how much though. I would guess about 2-3 teaspoons

Ultimately, as said, krausen and bubbling in the airlock aren't an indication of fermentation. The change in gravity is the only sure way to check.

I checked last night after it was moved and it has dropped from OG-1.061 to the current (as of last night) SG- 1.35. I think that means its fermenting so im pretty unconcerned, but the lack of krausen threw me off.

Thanks for the info.

It can take up to three days for fermentation to really get going, so it could be taking it's time. The dry yeast that comes with a kit usually has plenty of yeast, but it could be an old kit (?). If the gravity has dropped, it's working, but keep an eye on it. If it stalls at a high FG (say 1.020 or above), I'd give the bucket/carboy a swirl and see if putting the yeast into suspension gets things going again. You can always pitch more yeast if the gravity stalls.

All of this being said, I understand your concern perfectly. Krausen and bubbling in the airlock make all homebrewers happy and comforted.

Best of luck. Hoping that it all turns out well.

Cheers.

WHOOO a calgary brewer!

Krausen is a mysterious beast and it's different with every beer/yeast. I've had krausen that has ranged from 1/2 to 8 inches, and from a very light foam to a very dense almost paste like substance.

+1 checking fermentation with hydrometers readings.

On a somewhat unrelated note, what kit was it? (did you order it online or pick it up somewhere here in town?)

On a somewhat unrelated note, what kit was it? (did you order it online or pick it up somewhere here in town?)

It was a Muntons brand pale ale kit which I got from "Wine Kitz" on shaganappi (that spelling looks right but we have a lot of weird road names so i don't know anymore) trail north.

As an added bonus (which has nothing to do with the post) when you buy a kit, the guy who owns the store gives you however much RO water you want for free, really saves on the time it take to get it out of the tap (2 gallons in an hour, then a 2 hour cool down) and is cheaper than the grocery store. Just need to bring a container.

this might seem like a stupid question.... but what is the best way to check the gravity during fermentation while still in the primary? Secondary? Or better yet, how to do it for a carboy and for a bucket?

I would imagine it would be to stick your auto siphon in there and pump some out, but if your not careful, that could end in a few bottles of waste...

this might seem like a stupid question.... but what is the best way to check the gravity during fermentation while still in the primary? Secondary? Or better yet, how to do it for a carboy and for a bucket?

I would imagine it would be to stick your auto siphon in there and pump some out, but if your not careful, that could end in a few bottles of waste...

Carboy Thief

With my supplies I bought a "The thief" which is essentially a 1 way-automatic 1-way manual valve stuck to a tube

you stick it into the carboy and it fills up with liquid (make sure everything touching the beer is sterile) and then once you get an SG you can put the beer back by pushing the valve on the thief the beer all goes back, so in total you probably wont wast more than a few milliliters of beer.

it is a little tricky, because with it being a small tube, theres a lot of space for bubbles to form (these can ruin the reading) so you have to shake them off then try to get the hydrometer to not touch the sides.

Still way preferable to losing 2-5 bottles of beer though!

You could always "use the force". AKA don't take readings. If you let your fermenter sit in a nice 65-70 deg F room for three weeks, everything will work out. Of course, as a beginner, I suggest you take many readings to see what's going on, but eventually, the urge to take a bunch of readings fades and you just let the yeast to its business undisturbed. Eventually, you'll start getting to know your yeasts strains and how they behave in different worts.

Cheers!

Oh i do the same thing but i always taste my beer by draining it out of my thief and into a glass..I think its good to see what its doing along the process its really a great way to learn about the various flavors and to help understand everything better.. besides you get a small sample :)

With my supplies I bought a "The thief" which is essentially a 1 way-automatic 1-way manual valve stuck to a tube

you stick it into the carboy and it fills up with liquid (make sure everything touching the beer is sterile) and then once you get an SG you can put the beer back by pushing the valve on the thief the beer all goes back, so in total you probably wont wast more than a few milliliters of beer.

it is a little tricky, because with it being a small tube, theres a lot of space for bubbles to form (these can ruin the reading) so you have to shake them off then try to get the hydrometer to not touch the sides.

Still way preferable to losing 2-5 bottles of beer though!

Oh i do the same thing but i always taste my beer by draining it out of my thief and into a glass..I think its good to see what its doing along the process its really a great way to learn about the various flavors and to help understand everything better.. besides you get a small sample :)

Every once in a while (2 or 3 days) I've been doing the same thing, but not a whole glass, just a few sips but yeah it does help (and it gives you a good idea of whether or not the hydrometer reading or actually correct as you can really taste the drop in sugar content and to an extent even the rise of ethanol.

I also have a question regarding fermentation. The lid for my plastic fermenter cannot create a seal with the fermenter itself. Since CO2 is escaping from the fermenter, I am not using an airlock. Therefore, I have not been able to use an airlock to see if fermentation is occuring. I only added the wort to the fermenter about 48 hours ago, so I'm assuming its too early to take a hydrometer reading anyway.

After perhaps 8 hours, I noticed krausen on top of the wort, so I assumed fermentation had begun. About 24 hours after the wort was added to the fermenter, almost all of the krausen had disappeared. At first, there was perhaps 2 inches of krausen. Now there is not whatsoever. Does no krausen typically mean fermentation is not taking place, or is it sometimes normal to have absolutely no krausen?

Back