Is kegging worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erbium:YAG

Reaction score
I am generally considering venturing into kegging my brews; but I wanted to get some honest opinions to help me determine if it's worth it or not. I currently brew 5 gallon batches and I honestly don't mind bottling. From the way I see it, kegging has the advantage in that I no longer need to clean and sanitize a bunch of bottles, I can force carbonate and then there's the additional "cool" factor of having your own tap(s). As far as disadvantages, I see considerably more expense in equipment (CO2 tank(s), regulators, kegs, taps and refridgeration), I also see the potential to turn good brews, or at least a portion of them into useless foam. So I am asking for genuine feedback. For those who keg, do the advantages really outweigh the disadvantages or do you feel that bottling isn't really so bad?

:confused:

I've never bottled, but I could tell by reading about it that it's a PITA. Kegging isn't really THAT expensive. The advantages are...

1. It's easier
  2. It's faster
  3. You have better control over carbonation
  4. You clean and sanitize one big vessel instead of a bunch of little ones
  5. It's just plain cool

The only disadvantage is portability. I have a beer gun on the way to address that.

If I had to bottle, I probably wouldn't brew as much as I do.

I am still bottling and already dream about a kegging system. One thing I like about the idea of having the setup is the ability to make homemade sodas as well. I've tried it with yeast (soda brewing is actually what got me into brewing beer) and didn't like the result. I think it would be awesome to not only have beer on tap, but be able to make my own flavored sparkling water.

Pro
  • Easier to sample as it ages.
  • You can pour Half Pints.
  • Making Soda is easier.
  • Beer is clearer.
  • You can go from keg to bottle but not bottle to keg.
  • You will not slowly lose cornies like you do bottles.
  • You can secondary in a corny.
  • Cornies are easier to move around then 55 bottles.
  • Friends love to tap their own.
Con
  • High initial fixed cost.
  • You think you will be happy with 1 or 2 but then later you NEED 4+ taps.
  • You think you will bottle with a beer gun but it takes forever to get off your A**
  • You gift less beer.
  • Friends love to tap their own.

I started kegging with my second batch of beer. It's WAY easier than bottling, and I enjoy having my beer on tap. The initial cost is a tad high, and I doubt you'd ever offset it by thinking, "gee, I'm spending so much less on bottle caps now..." Oddly enough, I spent even more on a Beer Gun so that I could bottle a few from the keg for beer swaps, gifts, and such.

When I move back to WA state next year, I will invest in a kegging system for sure. Bottles are alot of work, and if you want to have a variety of beers you either need alot of bottles, or have to drink your beer faster between batches (not always a bad thing).
Plus with a keg, you always have the ability to top off a few bottles to give away.

Umm... Totally worth it for me, but then again, I scored big on craigslist. I pretty much got my whole system for about $200.. including 5 kegs. Yes, I too thought 1 or 2 kegs would suffice... wrong! I still occasionally bottle, but kegging is the way to go for me. I entertain a lot and yes my friends LOVE tapping their own beers from my fridge in the garage. I also plan to lager in the kegs. I have two batches of pilsnere in carboys, as soon as they're finished fermenting, I can lager them in the cornies and make room for more beer!

10000% worth it, in my opinion. Bottling is messy and inconsistant. I got too pissed off over poorly carbonated bottles or over carbonation.

As for a "foamy mess", you really have to screw up to over car by that much.

Go for it. It makes the hobby that much better.

Here's another vote for kegging. My main issue was that when I started to ramp up production I was finding that I needed alot more bottles than I had. Storage of all those bottles was becoming a problem as was cleaning and sanitizing them. I still bottle every 3rd or 4th beer but I like the ease of kegs.

Kegging is great for drinking the normal brews you want to drink all the time. If you've got something that's either very strong or needs to be aged, bottling is the way to go. I've got 4 beers on tap and still bottle stuff.

Christmas is less than a year away now and I think I know what I am going to be asking for. I am getting bored washing bottles. Will start buying the kit bit by bit and SHMBO will not notice. Okay she will, but will not slap me around as much as if I bought it all at once!
:mug:

For me its just a huge time saver. I don't mind the cleaning aspect, but as others have said its some much easier to keg. And time to drink is a big factor for me as well. With bottles you have to prime and condition. Not so with a Keg! you force carbinate and 24 hours later your drinking!

But for me IMHO the selling point was only having to clean one vessel not 100.:ban:

good luck!

I would not be brewing today if I had not gone to kegs very early on. I used minikegs, then went to cornies. Unlike some people, I probably drink less with kegs. I like to sample a number of ales & that means a sampler (4 oz.) glass. 4-5 of those & I've had enough to be content.

It is also fun to mix ales. When I find a good mix, I'll go back to the records & try to figure out how to brew it from scratch.

One more for Kegging.

The time it would take me to clean (even though i cleaned after emptied) and sanitze the bottles(1 hour) was way to much. I would not be brewing the amount i am today if it was not for the keg. I enjoy handing out my brew to friends and family now knowing all i have to do is wash a glass in the dishwasher.

go for it.

I do both. Kegging is the best thing to happen to my brewing since... well... since I started brewing! Having said that, there are still some styles that I prefer to condition and age in bottles. I bottle all of my Imperial Stouts, Barleywines and some other high gravity brews. I keg just about everything else.

John

I gave up brewing 5 years ago due to a few bad batches caused by bleach and I got tired of bottles. Then I saw the chest freezer keggerator. Four kegs, four taps yeah!. Now its a new freezer 8 kegs 4 primaries 4 secondaries. 2 co2 bottles 2 regulators and four more kegs tomorrow just trying to get ahead so my beer is conditioned and clear and top notch when I tap it. Four batches a week Just to get ahead of the game. A lot of money and I'm just waiting for mama to put her foot down.

it really depends on you and your brewing. i would say that if you intend on brewing a decent amount, and want to be able to drink multiple beers without drinking 12 oz of each of them, then kegging is definitely worth it.

if you plan on just doing 5 gallons at a time, doing the next batch as you are finishing the bottles from the previous batch, then don't worry about kegging, as it isn't monetarily worth it for you.

for me, i don't drink nearly fast enough to use bottles, and i like to brew. i started with 2 kegs and a 20 lb co2 tank i found for a good deal on craigslist. now i have a 6 keg kegerator and a 50 lb co2 tank. i have 5 beers and root beer on tap. and at one point, i had another two beers in kegs conditioning, waiting for spots in the kegerator. that is how slow i drink. i still have 2 beers in the kegerator that i brewed in early summer. haha.

also, after reading about people going to the hospital for carboy wounds, i've since moved back to a plastic primary bucket, and instead of a glass secondary, i secondary in kegs after a 2 week primary.

i've also transitioned to co2 transfers wherever possible. i still use carboys for my meads and in the future, wine, and intend on racking with either co2 or nitrogen, if i can get a nitrogen setup in the future.

so you know though, the costs continue to add up, even still. just like what others have said, i thought i would be satiated with a little, but now have 25 kegs, 5 co2 tanks, beergas tank, 2x 2 pass cold plates in jockey boxes, just bought a 6 pass cold plate so i can make a larger jockey box, etc. you don't have to go that far with your purchasing, but getting started will make you want even more... haha. don't forget that craigslist and ebay are your friends if you can shop patiently and intelligently.

Thanks for all your input. Outside of the obvious pros and cons, I think the one consideration that ultimately tips the scale, is determining production volume. In my case, even though I do 5 gallon batches, I am looking to brew more often. It's not something I took into consideration before; but in reality it is probably the most important reason I would start kegging. Now I guess I have "good reason" for the added expense. Thanks.

I brew approximately every 10 days (averaging brewing every weekend for a few weeks, then skipping a weekend to relax). At any given time I have 3 carboys in various states of fermentation - at one point I had 4 carboys and 2 buckets in the closet getting ready.

I bottled 3 batches 2 weeks ago, and another 2 this weekend. That's somewhere in the neightborhood of 9 cases of empty bottles just for those batches. I have 2 in the closet still waiting and brewing 2 more this weekend. I had at one point 21 cases of bottles in the kitchen waiting for beer. Beer equipment with carboys, 15 gallon brew pots, and 21 cases of bottles takes up a good 30% of my total kitchen/living room space. It's WAY too much stuff. I'm looking to keg sometime in the next month or two just so I don't have to have so many damn bottles around.

Last night we cleaned (de-labeled) more than 60 bottles to get ready to bottle this weekend. It took 2 1/2 hours, and 4 sore hands to get labels off and ready. It takes another 2 hours in the dishwasher to clean/sanitize enough for about 96% of a batch, I usually hand wash/sanitize the rest. I'm doing 2 batches today alone. Bottling for us takes about 45 minutes to an hour from bottling, capping, cleaning the spilled beer, and moving our bottles to storage. WAY TOO MUCH TIME. WAY TOO MUCH CRAP IN MY KITCHEN. Plus, I make a hell of a mess with the bottling wand and waste about 2 quarts of beer in spillage.

God help me...I need kegeration.

Cheesefood said:
One more advantage to kegging: 1/2 glass testers instead of a full bottle

I'm sorry, but you'll never see me pouring a 1/2 glass. If I have a half glass in my hand, you can be assured it half empty.

I just started home brewing and I too am jumping right into kegging.

My wife works for the local soda pop bottling company that uses the ball lock post corny kegs. So far I'm into my 6 keg kegging set-up (6 kegs, 10lb co2, regulator) at under $50.00.

I think its definitely worth it. Everyone complains about the high capital cost, but kegs and tanks and regulators last forever.

Bottling is a pain. 3 bottles per liter x 22 litres = 66 bottles ! Its a pain to wash them, store them, fill them, cap them, etc.

I've got 5 corny kegs, but one is about to be sacrificed as a steam boiler. I'll probably buy another 2 corny kegs.

My process works like this. Brew-> primary ferment 6.5-7 gallons in plastic pails, secondary and age in Better Bottles and then keg and bottle the excess. So I still do some bottling.

If I was on a budget and couldn't afford CO2, etc, and didn't want to mess with bottles, I would save 2 Litre Coke bottles and then age and carbonate with sugar in a Better Bottle and then rack into the Coke bottles. 1 Coke bottle is 2 liters = 6 beer. So 11 plastic bottles for a 22L batch. You can take them anywhere, serve from them with a tap, put them in a cooler, etc. Kind of like mini kegs.

Wort*hog said:
I gave up brewing 5 years ago due to a few bad batches caused by bleach and I got tired of bottles. Then I saw the chest freezer keggerator. Four kegs, four taps yeah!. Now its a new freezer 8 kegs 4 primaries 4 secondaries. 2 co2 bottles 2 regulators and four more kegs tomorrow just trying to get ahead so my beer is conditioned and clear and top notch when I tap it. Four batches a week Just to get ahead of the game. A lot of money and I'm just waiting for mama to put her foot down.

Next time I'm in Ogden I'll look you up! :tank:

TRNDRVR said:
I just started home brewing and I too am jumping right into kegging.

My wife works for the local soda pop bottling company that uses the ball lock post corny kegs. So far I'm into my 6 keg kegging set-up (6 kegs, 10lb co2, regulator) at under $50.00.

I've never met her but I love her! My wife has some dumb job at a law firm...

Go for Kegging! You can always take beer with you in a 1 or 2 liter bottle with a carbonator cap. Kegging simply rocks!

Nothing beats the feeling after a keg blows and you head out to the garage to pick out a beautifully aged, chilled & carbed home brew and connect it up and in less than a few minutes you went from blown keg depression to "Wow! This brew is Awesome"

4569-NewTapHandles2.jpg

Adding my 2, kegging is way worth it. Also, in case someone hassnt stated this yet. You can bottle from a keg, you dont need an external c02 system or anything. I keep a couple growlers and 16 oz flip top re-usable bottles on hand to bring my brew with me. As far as i'm concerned, kegging is the only way to go. If you want I can point you in the direction to get 4 corny's for $100 to your door, just msg me.

As mentioned in other threads.

1) You can sometimes get local micros to fill your cornies when you are between batches.
2) You can (with some hardware changes) hook up a commercial half or pony.
3) You can bring and empty corny to a keg party and take the leftover beer home, provided you purge the headspace and chill promptly.

Mike-H said:
Adding my 2, kegging is way worth it. Also, in case someone hassnt stated this yet. You can bottle from a keg, you dont need an external c02 system or anything. I keep a couple growlers and 16 oz flip top re-usable bottles on hand to bring my brew with me. As far as i'm concerned, kegging is the only way to go. If you want I can point you in the direction to get 4 corny's for $100 to your door, just msg me.

You can probably find 4 for $80 on eBay or other places.

Cheesefood said:
You can probably find 4 for $80 on eBay or other places.

I have not started kegging yet b/c of cost but also I thought brew didnt last too long under pressure on tap. How long will beer last kegged off the tap and on the tap? Also, if you drain half and take it off the tap, how long will it last?

I've done 6 batces in three weeks and have probably spent more on extra flip-top bottles then converting to kegging...kicking myself after reading this thread. :mad:

brmdavis said:
I have not started kegging yet b/c of cost but also I thought brew didnt last too long under pressure on tap. How long will beer last kegged off the tap and on the tap? Also, if you drain half and take it off the tap, how long will it last?

I've done 6 batces in three weeks and have probably spent more on extra flip-top bottles then converting to kegging...kicking myself after reading this thread. :mad:

HB99 typically has 75,000 kegs in his "aging" cellar. I know that he only goes through about 25 to 50 thousand per year, tops. So most of his are probably pretty old. I think he's about 247 years old, so there's at least one or two in the 200+ year range.

Cheesefood said:
HB99 typically has 75,000 kegs in his "aging" cellar. I know that he only goes through about 25 to 50 thousand per year, tops. So most of his are probably pretty old. I think he's about 247 years old, so there's at least one or two in the 200+ year range.

Obviously Cheesefood is currently enjoying his infamous caramel cream in excess. :D Is that one way of saying the answer is "a very very long time"? Has anyone done a thread with a total cost breakdown of switching to kegging?

How long does beer last on the tap? About 2 weeks around here!

I've been kegging since I started, One draw back I found is that with only two corny's I need to "keep Drinking" if I want to keep brewing. I am considering getting some Grolsch bottles for some of the heavier beers. Have you ever drank 5 gallons of stout single handedly?

haha.

you know what this means, right?

MORE KEGS!

seriously though, slowly get more and more if you can. there are ebay sellers selling kegs in good condition for four for 80 shipped, which is a good deal. just get new seals on them, and they should be good to go. you may also want to build a larger kegerator in the future. what i've done is converted a full size top/bottom fridge that can hold 6 kegs inside.

it is understandable if you have space constraints though, work with what you have, but i'm sure you could stow away extra kegs here and there, in a closet, hallway, bedroom, garage, etc.

it can be sorta like an easter egg hunt when you blow through a keg, and the first keg you find is what you put on tap. haha.

also, look on craigslist. at least for where i am at, there are postings every now and then for kegging equipment, generally for an excellent deal. i recently bought 8 kegs for 5 a piece because the guy was moving to florida (i live in texas), and the kegs were in excellent condition. keep your eyes open for good deals!

Back