Is it just me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
When i cold crash a fermenter - which is all the time this year - with the airlock left in place i get a small bit of suckback but very rarely the whole airlock of water - thats what i use.

No fancy chemicals or some oxygen fear.

I cold crash at near freezing. Get some slush sometimes with low abv.

S style airlock or 2 piece? The S lock should prevent suckback if not overfilled.

No i mean why are some many people worried about carboys sucking back whats in there airlock or oxygen?

I never had the problem.

You said in your OP that you have experienced suck back.

Some people are concerned about the star san (one of them fancy chemicals) in their beer, but the small amount shouldn't hurt anything. If you're using pure water, I would be worried about an infection personally.

As far as oxygen, I'm in the "don't worry too much" camp. I think that people are going a little overboard about avoiding oxygen exposure personally. I replace my airlock work aluminum foil just the same though.

I have seen some crazy contraptions for avoiding O2 introduction into the fermentor or secondary.
I personally take a lot of steps to minimize O2 exposure (avoid opening fermentor even to dry hop, purge bottles/bottling buckets etc with C02) but to each his own.
So no it's not just you but in this crowd ask ten questions get 15 different answers.

Back