Is it Amuminum or stainless keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike3701

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a keg, it was wrapped in a thick rubber caoting. I finally peeled the rubber off the keg and it looks like aluminum. Its not as heavy as my stainless kegs, Its does not look like the typical keg, has a round bottom so it does not sit flat. But i was able beat it flat with a hammer, it was pretty easy to flatten. no handles on the top of the keg, the handles were made out of the rubber coating. It says its a Miller keg, any ideas?

Does a magnet find it attractive?

Come to think of it I just saw one of these black kegs in my father's kegerator. He has Miller Lite (blech) on tap.

Whether it's magnetic is not a true indicator of whether it's stainless steel.

On a standard 15.5 Sankey the keg may be weakly magnetic at the top and bottom where the metal is rolled and thickest.

I got one of those plastic coated ones as well that sits in my shed (given to me and probably illegal). I'm probably just going to drop it off at a liquor store, but I gotta ask. How did you peel that off? I didn't try but figured it'd be a beast.

Back