Is it a full time job keeping up with the n00bs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I've learned about the search is that you can tweak it to work for you and can save your preferences...
This board has a search feature?!?!?!
Just kidding :) Seriously thanks to everyone for your help in the process of making my brown water into a beer that I can hopefully drink someday soon! Also thanks for helping me spend my money! I really am getting into this brewing thing!

I used the search function a few times when I first joined to try to find answers to my questions before posting because I was nervous about asking dumb questions.

I was hindered in my search because as a newbie I didn't know some of the lingo. I tried all sorts of key words and after clicking on links and clicking "back" a few dozen times I got frustrated and just posted my questions.

I appreciated the help I got very much.

I can't help but feel a little self conscious when I see some of the "preaching" on here making you feel guilty for asking a "noob" question.

Your not married, right? Otherwise Swmbo might not be too happy with how you're spending your money...:D
Actually Revvy,
My SWMBO has been completely supportive of this obsession. She's encouraged me to up my brewing frequencies, bought equipment and ingredients for me, and went so far as to re-organize my about 40 sq.ft. in the basement that's now dedicated to storing brewing supplies and equipment and fermenting beers. Yup, she's a keeper.:cross:

Note: she's half Irish and half German, so she really can't help but like beer. It'd be easier for her to give up breathing than give up beer.:p

Actually Revvy,
My SWMBO has been completely supportive of this obsession. She's encouraged me to up my brewing frequencies, bought equipment and ingredients for me, and went so far as to re-organize my about 40 sq.ft. in the basement that's now dedicated to storing brewing supplies and equipment and fermenting beers. Yup, she's a keeper.:cross:

Note: she's half Irish and half German, so she really can't help but like beer. It'd be easier for her to give up breathing than give up beer.:p

You can say that again. :rockin:

I consider myself a fairly competent homebrewer, but I am relatively new to HBT. I think the counter-point to the guru kudos is that the gurus keep an open mind and try to stay current with brewing knowledge. I'm always eager to question what I "know" and often brew up assorted experiments to test flavors, yeast behaviors, etc. I eagerly look forward to each issue of BYO (Palmer's latest on Hop Polyphenols was fascinating, IMO!), and fully confess to being a brewing geek. :)

Above said, PROST to the vets!

You know...something people COULD do...is if they search for something and find a thread that actually answers their question, they could actually post the fact that they got help, right in the thread...

I didn't think about that. I guess I'm used to other message boards where when you end up putting a post in a thread, you get jumped on asking "Why are you bringing that thread from x years ago up again." I guess I'll just have to see how that works out here. :)

I consider myself a fairly competent homebrewer, but I am relatively new to HBT. I think the counter-point to the guru kudos is that the gurus keep an open mind and try to stay current with brewing knowledge. I'm always eager to question what I "know" and often brew up assorted experiments to test flavors, yeast behaviors, etc. I eagerly look forward to each issue of BYO (Palmer's latest on Hop Polyphenols was fascinating, IMO!), and fully confess to being a brewing geek. :)

Above said, PROST to the vets!

I think I addressed how up to date I try to be in my uber post this morning...

he thing with the internet and podcasts is that the author might have actually said he was wrong about something, or learned something new that renders what he originally wrote no longer valid, and it might have happened only yesterday...So the common wisdom has not caught up with it unless someone like me who tries to keep up with everything new and constantly tries to learn as much as he can reports it back to you...case in point...

Didja know that John Palmer has retracted most of what he wrote about IBU's in How To Brew?

He attended a high end academic conference on hops that totally blew away he felt what he wrote in the book....And he did an entire basic brewing podcast on it..

I try to keep up to date as much as possible...and learn as much...I'm usually the one trying to counter some of the old beliefs (like the anti plastic sentiments...I actually dug up info and posted a lot of it that in the wake of the BPE banning, a heck of a lot of srping water distributorss are going with better bottles (including the symbol) as their primary water bottle..and someone even found that their BB was actually one of the water bottles mixed into the line...an other companies are cloning the bb's, so all the OLD rules arguments against culligan type bottles no longer necessarily apply...that you can fine many newer water bottles that would be quite acceptable to use as a fermenter...Yet many old timers (including some last night) persist in bring the old info up...

Oh well...

I also spent two weeks listenning to 5 years worth of Aussie Craftbrewer podcasts the two hosts have 60 years accumulated knowlege...they push the limits and do stuff that sometimes puts Palmer to shame...and he loves it.

I used to lurk on rec.arts.homebrewing many moons ago. Never brewed anything, though.
Then i found this and the "green board". I registered on both, but haven't really been back there since then. Maybe it's cos I'm just more used to VBulletin.
Anyway, I lurked here for a couple months, reading all the sticky threads and FAQs. (I wouldn't have read Palmer otherwise.) And I read every n00b thread that got posted.
My point is this: I haven't had to ask a question yet. I really haven't had to search too much, either. It just seems every n00b has the same concerns, and once I saw that, and learned who knows what they're talking about, i knew it was time to brew.
So, yes, thanks to all the old hands. Your expertise is invaluable.
But also thanks to all the fellow n00bs. your inexperience is equally invaluable.

Someone far wiser than myself once said the best way to learn to do something is to teach someone else how to do it. :)

Second all this, you guys make this site a much better resource than any book could ever be once you actually turn on the gas and start brewing. I'm constantly amazed by how often and how quickly posts are made to answer questions that are probably redundant.

As an aside, I find the google search option to be much better than the search box in the upper right...it just usually gives me what I'm looking for.

In the end, I don't personally know anyone else who brews...so I'd be totally lost without this site.

I'm loving my new hobby and looking forward to helping other n00bs as I learn more.

I echo the many thanks. I have learned plenty about techniques and how to best put my brewing budget to use. This site has certainly fed the obsession.

I would also like to express my thanks. My post count is all but non existent because of my persistent use of the search function. I brewed my first batch in September of 2008 (about to brew batch number 7:rockin:), and I can't think of a question I had that I was not able to find the answer to without actually posting a question. You may not be able to find what you are looking for with the first search, but if you change the wording or use the google search you are almost assured of finding your answer here. Again... thanks to all the patient members helping us all make the best beer we can!!!!:mug:

Gotta add my thanks here as well!
I've moderated several forums and been admin of several.
Truely about as thankless a job there is and even if you get it down pat with all the links right at your fingertips (for those repeated threads) you can still spend hours per day.
I try to use the search feature whenever I can and I am probably responsible for at least one thread that could be moved (the coopers thread in the beginners forum seems like it would have been a 'better fit' in the extract forum).
Revvy and all youse guys do a GREAT job!
Stay cool and try rogaine for those bald spots (where you ripped your hair out)! :D

I also wanna say thanx. I am in the middle of my first batch and I have already had a lot of good advice. Thanks Guys!

Back