is gas released during fermentation dangerous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatdoyameanman

Reaction score
I'm making 5 gallons of hard cider. While I know strong smelling "rhino farts" are normal to brewing cider, I was curious if the gas that is released is dangerous to breathe if not properly ventilated out of the basement I'm brewing in. Also if ventilation is needed, how much ? Thank you !

ForumRunner_20110927_203850.jpg

Co2 has killed thousands of people, but you typically need a volcano to burp out enough to displace ALL of the air.

If Co2 was poisonous, we'd all be dead.

your house has a compleat air change at least once a day, and you probbably make more co2 than the fermenter :)

If your basement has absolutely no leaks, and has a perfect seal and you got enough of them, then yes. It could be dangerous.

For example, in my (occasional) primary fermenter/beer fridge, I had been fermenting something for quite some time, the top door closed, and rarely opened. If I stuck my head down there and kept trying to breathe, I'm sure I would have had some sort of issue.

In your standard basement that has cracks in it, as well as ductwork, and a door that doesn't keep a complete airtight seal, you'll probably be ok.

Back