Is Christmas for brewers like New Years at the gym?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
So im pretty new myself (6months) but with all the people that gets equipment for xmas i was wondering if i should expect to see alot of stuff on craigslist in a month or so?? I know tons of people flock to the gym after newyears and dont make it for the long haul so i was wondering if it was the same for new brewers?

Or people upgrading to bigger, better things, and getting rid of their old stuff (that still kicks my stuff in the hiney).

I would say, yes. Based on some comments you see here, some people get frustrated when they realize the hobby is not what they initially thought - for better or worse. Surmising - some will let it collect dust, some will give it away or throw it away, and some will post stuff for sale. I can't imagine someone going out and buying a new brewer a conical fermenter for their first brew then CL-ing it in January!!

B

This tends to be a fun time of the year on the forum. A lot of new members asking a lot of very newby questions, then disappearing after only a month or so. A little after that, you will see stuff start to pop up for sale. Last year, I scored a Mr. Beer fermentor from a friend who got it as a Christmas gift and never even opened it. I use it for mead.

I suppose it's a bit like New Year's in that all the newcomers are using the equipment and there's none for you--I've been skunked for the hops and sanitizer I need at the local brewshop twice in the last week. I don't mind though, that was me once.

This tends to be a fun time of the year on the forum. A lot of new members asking a lot of very newby questions, then disappearing after only a month or so. A little after that, you will see stuff start to pop up for sale. Last year, I scored a Mr. Beer fermentor from a friend who got it as a Christmas gift and never even opened it. I use it for mead.

Yep. I remember last year it seemed like the traffic here doubled in 7 days, then fell off in 30.

Back