Is 15 gal pot big enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luthierzan

Reaction score
I am upgrading my system from a 5 gal to a 10 gallon system.
I still plan on brewing predominantly 5 gallon batches but would like to brew the occasional 10 gallon batch.
I currently have a 10 Gallon Blichmann Boilermaker which is my BK. I want to change this over to a MLT and buy a new BK.
Is a 15 Gallon BK big enough for the occasional 10 gallon batch? Blichmann recomends 20 gal pot for 10 gal batches, but I don't want to go too big as I am mainly a 5 gallon brewer.
Some words of experience would be nice from any 10 gallon brewers

Thanks David Oh

I easily brew 10 gallon batches in a converted keg.
15 gallons is fine.

15 gallons for me is kinda tight with a 90 minute boil, but it works. Gotta really watch nearing the beginning of the boil though.

So for a 5 gallon "in the keg batch" with the 10 gal blichmann, I start with 7.25 gallons of wort in the kettle to get 6 gallons after 90 minutes. Therefore 1.25 gallon evaporation.

I know evaporation rates depend on kettle dimensions, but am I still looking at the same amount of evaporation from a 10 gallon "in 2 kegs". In other words am I still going to get approx 1.25-1.5 gallons of evaporation at 90 minutes or will I get more with the larger volume of wort?

What volume of wort do you guys start your boil with to get a final 2 cornies (using a 90 min boil)?

Basicly IME it comes down to this, a 10 gal batch is tight in a 15 gallon pot, but if you are looking to only do occasional 10 gal baches and predominantly 5 gal batches, a 20 gallon kettle foe 5 gallon batches is silly large.

I do 5 gallon(in the keg) batches, which means, I shoot for 5.5gal post boil, which means i do a 7 gallon boil for 90min. That takes me right to the top of my 8 gallon pot, but with careful heat control, I can pull it off. 60min boil, it's 6.5gal, and more comfortable.

You'll need about 11 gal post boil for a full 10gal at kegging time, that means a 12-12.5 gallon boil. You should be fine with a 15gal pot.

The evaporation amount is roughly the same so if you are boiling off 1.5 gallons for a 5 gallon, you are going to start with 11.5-12 gallons for your 10 gallon batch not 14.

Back