Iron in Non Filtered Water / Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowashburn

Reaction score
So about a week before I did my latest all grain batch I also got my water filtration system serviced. I am on a private well and my filtration system consists of a salt conditioner and a separate iron remover. However, the service company left my filtration system on complete bypass when they left by accident. Luckily, the water coming straight from my well isn't horrible, so we really didn't know until I noticed the bypass valve open when doing laundry.

Anyhow, the batch that I brewed while bypassed is stuck at 1.02 after about 4 weeks in primary and has seemingly stopped fermenting. I know some people are against using well water for brewing but my water tastes great and I have done PLENTY of brews with the same water with absolutely no issues. I have tried stirring the (at this point) beer and also (sigh) adding more yeast with no success. The fermenter also sits in my laundry room at about 65 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit as have all of my other ales. The only non common denominator is the water filtration. Although not purchased form Northern Brewer, the recipe is exactly from their Sierra Nevada clone with ingredients purchased at my LHBS:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-SierraMadrePaleAle.pdf

My questions are:

1. Could non filtered water be the issue? Specifically from iron, since I have a separate iron filter.

2. Is there any hope for this beer?

3. I keg and therefore do not have to worry about bottle bombs. The beer in its current 1.02 state tastes, errr.. ok I think. Soooo....

Thanks in advance for any insight and suggestions.

Can you taste the iron in your water when the system is in bypass mode? I brew with untreated well water that contains iron and manganese; however, it does not leave stains nor does it have that classic well water iron taste.

No, I could not taste it. However, I do have a keurig coffee brewer that has a clear water resiviour and the resiviour did stain quickly by the end of the week.

If it wasnt the water, what could I have done wrong during this batch and not realized? There are no signs of infection at all. It looks great and tastes, well... Not quite fully fermented. Thanks again for any input.

I wouldn't think its the water, especially if it tastes fine. I'd check your thermometer more than anything, could be hotter than therm says.

Back