Irish Red Ale with higher than expected FG = bottle bomb??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punchrace

Reaction score
First time brewing and it was a lot of learning

I brewed an Irish Red Ale, but forgot to take an OG. Recipe said 5-7 days primary fermentation but I did 10. I took a reading and it appeared to be 1.016-1.017, while the recipe says 1.014.

I know now that I should have taken multiple readings over the following few days but unfortunately bottled that day. The batch came out, due to beginner problems, to a little over 4.5 gallons. I didn't pour the entire amount of priming sugar solution into it, trying to adjust for the lack of the 5 gallon amount.

They've been sitting in a pretty cool temperature room, in a couple covered bins for the last 2 days. I'm absolutely terrified they will explode and not only alarm myself and create a dangerous mess, but also scare my neighbours. What do you think the chances are they will explode? I'm afraid to even go near the bins!

Am I overreacting? I am aware I could/should have done things differently, and will definitely do so in the next batch, especially if this one somehow goes ok.

Welcome to the forum!
1. The recipe's estimate on FG is just an estimate. Actual FG depends on your mash temps and whether you have more unfermentable sugars than the recipe designer, as well as fermentation conditions. Also OG of course, which you don't know in this case. For example, if the recipe says you should have an OG of 1.060 and you got 1.063, then a corresponding 3 point increase in the FG would be expected. Also, you mentioned your volume is less than expected. Less volume will raise the OG, if you're adding the same amount of fermentables as the recipe.
2. 3 points difference is miniscule. I think you'll be fine. There's a famous saying coined by Charlie Papazian (look him up) : RDWHAHB= Relax, Don't Worry, Have A HomeBrew.

wow!

thanks so much for your answer! it puts me at a great deal of ease! im still relatively concerned, just to cover the bases, so to speak, but i feel A LOT better! we'll see in the coming weeks where it goes, but thanks again so much for that bit of info! it can be a bit daunting to brew your first batch, so any sort of reason is always welcome! cheers jimrausch!

Latest posts

Back