irish red 18%abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ cape no not in bottles. I just put it in the secondary about 10 min ago. I did put the 2oz cascade hops in but no more yeast just what it started with (notty). @Haputanlas what pics would you like? It just looks like a beer in a carboy I did take a pic of the og @1132.

Yeah not sure why and hbt not letting me add photos or change my profile pic I think they have been having problems today with this site ...

Yuri_Rage said:
No site issues. You are hosting your pictures on Facebook. That almost never works well. Use Picasa, ImageShack, PhotoBucket, or similar.

Agreed. Picasa is my fav. Free and lots of space

HBT is having problems I am unable to change profile pic or upload from my computer to the gallery. I know the facebook pic does not usually work but I was unable to upload to HBT. I also read on another thread they were having problems and was off line today. I will try again tomorrow.

No not a paid member. But shouldn't I be able to set a profile pic? It will show up in the settings menu but noting showing up when I post.

@ cape no not in bottles. I just put it in the secondary about 10 min ago. I did put the 2oz cascade hops in but no more yeast just what it started with (notty).

if it is just in the secondary then I would do what I was suggesting and make a braggot. Put together a quick mead... let it ferment mostly out and then combine the two (the mead and your huge red)... i would then soak some oak chips in bourbon and add those to it at some point.

... just a thought.

Damn....too late! Cape beat me to it....keep the beer and blend it with other stuff. OR, just suck it up as a lesson learned and let it be one of those homebrews that only YOU drink. I bet the headache will be enough to keep you from doing it again :D Honestly, balance is a good thing. Even BMC drinkers can appreciate a well balanced beer, even if they don't like the style. People know quality when they taste it.

Christafer11 said:
No not a paid member. But shouldn't I be able to set a profile pic? It will show up in the settings menu but noting showing up when I post.

That is the way it is supposed to be. You only get the avatar when you pay.

Also, you don't get the gallery until you pay either.

WOOOO HAAAA Just sipped from my sample bottle. Very strong alcohol up front and finished hint of sweet and smooth. I think it's a no go on more yeast it may dry it out just secondary and dry hop. I have to say I am really really happy with what I tasted expecting a alcohol syrup. Nothing like that at all just might be ok. Now one more question any ideas on figuring the actual abv? Would the best way be to take an exact size like 100ml and put that in a pot and boil the alcohol off and see whats left? If so what temp should I get it to and for how long? Also now that I am way more excited and optimistic about how this will turn out any reason I should bottle instead of keg I prefer to keg and have 2 empty. I was going to bottle thinking I may have to sit on this for a while but not so sure about that now.

Sounds like the OP is happy with it and is planning on letting it age to mellow it out more. It might take a few months, but it should mellow with time.

Personally, I think it's good plan. If it after 6 months or so it hasn't conditioned enough, maybe then it's time to think about blending it. But I think it's premature at this point. Maybe he's on to something.

Yeah D0ug I am happy with it up to this point. I did sample a little more last night when racking to secondary it is not overly sweet or off or bad tasting but has a strong alcohol taste and does burn a bit going down. And it's NOT dry like wine or champagne which I am happy about I don't like or drink either. I am not a fan of drinking something that leaves your mouth feeling like you need to drink something. My op was asking about what to do with yeast and possible dry hopping. There have been a lot of post about how stupid I am and he will "learn his lesson" bla bla bla, mix it with this mix it with that dump it. This is what home brewing is all about trying something new and doing something out of the ordinary. I have 3 kegs in my keezer right now so this is not my go to beer was something I brew a lot but add something to it and see what happens. If we were all happy drinking mellow watered down flavor less beer that was the most consistant beer in the world we would have a bud or coors. If you read back through this post and several others it's frustrating how much people just want say all the things people are doing wrong and not help ANSWER the effin question posted. But to the few that have had real actual solution answers and ideas thank you.

as to the avitar and photos oh well at this point I have NO interest in paying for this site. If you want to see the pics I put the link if it didn't work OH WELL.

Christafer11 said:
as to the avitar and photos oh well at this point I have NO interest in paying for this site. If you want to see the pics I put the link if it didn't work OH WELL.

I hope it is not because some asshats are giving you a hard time on this thread. Note that most of the non-productive stupid posts are from some of the newer members. Most long-timers are really really cool and willing to help out.

Also, i hope you didn't take some of the alternate-suggestion posts negatively. Most people with the suggestions think that they wouldn't like the recipe based on ingredients and specs alone. While they may be wrong about how you feel, their suggestions are meant only as an alternative for either experimemtation, or a way out if you feel the same as they do.

My opinion is to stick around, keep asking the questions and ignore the opinionated-only posts (unless you want the criticism). You can learn a lot from this site.

I am sticking around and will keep doing what I want like I said before that's one of the reasons we home brew. It's to bad hbt doesn't allow some pic's like 3 or so for the non paying members. @Hap noting personal about the pic thing. I know the good people are worth it and well outnumbers the bad.

I am sticking around and will keep doing what I want like I said before that's one of the reasons we home brew. It's to bad hbt doesn't allow some pic's like 3 or so for the non paying members. @Hap noting personal about the pic thing. I know the good people are worth it and well outnumbers the bad.

Chris, if you load your pics to a site like image shack you can insert the image in a post even if you're not a paid subscriber

Like this
questionbadidea.jpg

just upload the image, select upload options resizing and pick 640x480. After you pic is uploaded click view image and copy the url of the image.
back on hbt go to advanced post, click on the insert image icon and paste the url in to the pop up window.

You're gonna have to pay if you want that avatar though ;)

It just doesn't work with facebook or sites where you need a user id and password to see the image. Image shack is nice because they don't require you to create a user account to upload pics.

good luck :mug:

unless you're using the keg to carbonate or plan to drink it flat, you're gunna need the champagne or 099 yeasts. notty is dead and won't be able to carbonate. theres no fear of them making this dry since the low IBUs will keep it sweet

unless you're using the keg to carbonate or plan to drink it flat, you're gunna need the champagne or 099 yeasts. notty is dead and won't be able to carbonate. theres no fear of them making this dry since the low IBUs will keep it sweet

That would be added after aging though, at bottling time right?

That would be added after aging though, at bottling time right?

well both will chew thru some of the remaining sugars so you'll want to give it some time (a week should be enough) before bottling otherwise you risk bottle bombs.

Still not sure about keg or bottle. I really dislike bottling a lot. I would put in keg with out hesitation I have empty's but not sure how long I can keep in there. I have never kept in keg long term. Would it be ok to keep in keg for 6months to a year as long as its hooked up to co2? If I did add the extra yeast I would prob do it about a week before bottle would make sense. Since I have all ready racked to secondary and off yeast bed. I think Ill let it sit for a while and see maybe sample and see if it's something I would drink in a few months maybe keg but more than likely will bottle just makes sense to bottle that type of beer.

Still not sure about keg or bottle. I really dislike bottling a lot. I would put in keg with out hesitation I have empty's but not sure how long I can keep in there. I have never kept in keg long term. Would it be ok to keep in keg for 6months to a year as long as its hooked up to co2? If I did add the extra yeast I would prob do it about a week before bottle would make sense. Since I have all ready racked to secondary and off yeast bed. I think Ill let it sit for a while and see maybe sample and see if it's something I would drink in a few months maybe keg but more than likely will bottle just makes sense to bottle that type of beer.

Yes, it'll be fine in a keg. It's more of a "botting" type big since it's so high ABV and more of a sipper, but you won't get bottle carbonation anyway. The yeast is finished, and won't have enough "ooomph" to give you anymore out of it.

You could try kegging it, and then once it's carbonated, bottle it and let it age and drink as needed. It's really easy to bottle from the keg with $1 worth of stuff, and may be the perfect way to do it.

Yooper, you must know...

I'm curious about how one would bottle carb a high abv beverage like this, can you just add an alcohol tolerant yeast, like EC-1118, at bottling with your priming sugar?

Or do you pretty much need to carb it in a keg and then bottle it?

Thanks, and sorry for the hi-jack Chris.

Yooper, you must know...

I'm curious about how one would bottle carb a high abv beverage like this, can you just add an alcohol tolerant yeast, like EC-1118, at bottling with your priming sugar?

Not speaking out of actual experience, but you could use these:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...10600&osCsid=8c3a96fff787fa02b42eeb62db320a0a

They include some extra DME in each tab to provide just enough sugars to aid the yeast for a full carb.

However, they do leave floating yeasties. If you want perfectly clear beer, keep away from this stuff.

Yooper, you must know...

I wouldn't add EC-1118 at bottling. I'd add it before that. The reason is that if it isn't killed by the alcohol content, it'll ferment some sugars that ale yeast normally won't. So, you may have bottle bombs if you wait until bottling to add it. I'd add it in secondary, late, with a starter, and cross my fingers. But I feel that wouldn't be as easy and as dependable as simply carbing it up in a keg and bottling from the keg.

no good question good info. this is what the tread was started for. I like the keg to bottle idea best what parts would I need you said for like a dollar?

Just did that with a 1.14ish RIS so I can let you know in a month or so. Well I actually added it about 6 weeks before bottling along with some port soaked oak, but you get jist of it

Thanks Yooper and dcp.

Sorry about the question, but I don't have any kegging gear and won't have room in the budget for anything like that anytime soon. :(

Thanks Yooper and dcp.

Sorry about the question, but I don't have any kegging gear and won't have room in the budget for anything like that anytime soon. :(

So, you just wanted to waste my time with finding the post, answering the question and then using search to give you the appropiate thread and to answer futher questions? And you really didn't care because you don't have any intention of buying/having kegging gear anytime soon?

Nice.

So, you just wanted to waste my time with finding the post, answering the question and then using search to give you the appropiate thread and to answer futher questions? And you really didn't care because you don't have any intention of buying/having kegging gear anytime soon?

Nice.

Slick D0ug! :eek:

No Yooper, you offered the thread link in response to Christapher's post, who was the OP and who does keg.

I was asking in general if I needed kegging gear to carb up very high alcohol brews in case I tried something crazy like a barley wine, because I don't have any kegging gear and can't buy any in the foreseeable future. And you gave me a great response to that question.

I was apologizing to Christapher11 because he seemed to think my question was bad, and it's his thread.

I have seen your posts in other threads and have always appreciate your experienced advice on brewing.

Sorry if I wasted your time, didn't mean to, I did appreciate your response.

Back