Irish Moss...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencemaker

Reaction score
Hi, Gang,

Can anyone direct me to some info on Irish Moss, ie: why I should use it... Or shouldn't use it? How much? When? Why? Who is John Galt? Etc...

Use it if you All-Grain. It will pull alot of the protiens that cause beer haze out of the beer and make it much clearer.

As far as how.... 1 tsp/5 gal in the last 15 mins of the boil. Just drop it in.

I just throw in a pinch at 15 mins on any beer I want maximum clarity. If it's a wheat/Hef/etc, then I skip it.

I picked some up because it is super cheap. I usually do 1/2 tsp at 15, but I have read a lot of mixed opinions on quantity. TBH irish moss in general seems kinda disputed. I haven't read any one who swears by it and always uses it, or anybody who won't use it.

It seems most people (including me) will toss it in if they remember. For me that translates to if I didn't put the bag away the previous brew day and it is still on my counter. If its across the room I usually forget.

It is supposed to help the proteins coagulate or something like that.

here is a pretty good description of what irish moss does/why it helps:
http://homebrewandchemistry.blogspot.com/2009/01/irish-moss-brief-description.html
(not mine)
I started using it recently, and like others often forget, however i noticed my special bitter which employed it in the last 10 minutes of the boil dropped brite wonderfully, however the yeast took quite a while to drop out, though it was a new(to me) yeast strain.
The long and the short of it is, about a half tsp, i sprinkle and eyeball. Try getting in the habit of adding irish moss and yeast nutrient at the same time along with anything else, 10 minutes works for me because i usually have a 10 minute hop addition, so i toss it all in together.

When I bought my last extract kit (Nut Brown Ale) at the LHBS, I noticed the ingredient list (when I got home) listed Irish Moss as an optional ingredient.

Funny thing is, the LHBS guys have to add stuff to the box when you buy it (The yeast, the hops, etc) and they didn't even mention the Irish Moss. You'd think, being that they want to make as much money as possible) that they'd try to push it, but they didn't.

So, yeah. I figure it's not something they consider essential (especially with extract brewing, even though there's hops and specialty grains). I suppose it's a personal opinion, depending how clear you want to get the beer.

I'm planning on a long 3-4 week primary and hoped that most stuff would drop out of suspension on it's own.

Hi, Gang,

Can anyone direct me to some info on Irish Moss, ie: why I should use it... Or shouldn't use it? How much? When? Why? Who is John Galt? Etc...

I like the John Galt reference. Lit. major?
Don't feel helpless and desperate about Irish Moss though lol There are much more complicated things in life!

1/2 - 1tsp with 10 - 15min. left in the boil for a 5gal batch is the general rule. Everyone has their preferences though. It helps coagulate suspended proteins, making it easier for them to drop out suspension during the break, resulting in a clearer brew. Technically, a sufficient hot and cold break should take care of this, but not every beer/process is perfect. I go with 1sp @ 15min. and my beers are quite clear.

Irish Moss basically is basically carrageenan (sp) which is a thickening agent. When added to beer it acts like gelatin in that it sort of locks up the larger protein molecules and makes them clump together then fall to the bottom.

I made the switch to Whilfloc at the insistence of my LHBS about 8 batches ago and I am not turning back! Whirlfloc is billed as Irish Moss on steroids, or something like that.

Irish Moss has it's benefits but if you have never used Whirlfloc, wow, the stuff (proteins/cold break) coagulates like crazy. I never got that effect from IM.

I know Whirlfloc is a little more expensive than IM but once you see the difference I think you will feel the same I as do.

Well that is my take on it anyway!

I use gelatin and a good cold crash, but then again as someone said, it's all about your preference. The only reason I use gelatins you don't have to remember to add it to the boil, which means it is one less thing to remember on brew day, which let's me have more beer :)

I believe even a mini-mash would benefit from using some sort of clarifier. It is the proteins that precipitate from the grains during mashing that can cause haze or cloudiness and that is what most clarifiers help clean up.

Yeah I think it would help with a minimash as well.

I'm in the group that INTENDS to use irish moss every batch...but sometimes homebrew gets in the way at that point. I've gotten better about it though, and it helps me to associate it with putting my immersion chiller in with 10-15min to go in the boil. I just throw in a capful (comes in a little vial from NB) and it really does seem to help clarify the brew!

Latest posts

Back