IPA's, Hops and water type (chemistry)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
The two beers I have made via all-grain and with higher levels of hops have come out with a hop flavor that is very similar to chlorophenols. When I first open the IPA my first impression is always that I somehow got some chlorine or cloramine in there, but if I let it sit and warm up for 10 minutes it mostly goes away and I can tell it's actually something coming from the hops......

....funny thing is that I made a really hoppy APA with extract and it did not have this roughness to the hops at all.

....my question: Is there a particular water type suited to american ales and IPA's? if so, how would I go about "fixing" or improving my water....I use bottled spring water, BTW. thanks in advance.

Before messing with the water, how aged is your beer? Are you still drinking green beer that will improve with time?

I use RO water and add back some minerals to get to a general purpose brewing water, nothing special.

Do you know what your water has in it? Are you using tap water or distilled etc...?

At any rate, reading this chapter of how to brew will get you started.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Understanding the Mash pH

First thing is to find out what kind of water you brewed with but also were there any other factors like your mash temp, ferment temp etc...

Back