Ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
India Pale Ale. Originate in England to keep beer from spoiling when on sailing ships passing from Britain to India during the colonial period.

"India Pale Ale. Originate in England to keep beer from spoiling when on sailing ships passing from Britain to India during the colonial period."

The first part is right. The second part is one of those brewing myths.

You can have a IIPA (imperial indian pale ale). Those are higher gravity versions of IPA's.

Here is a link to the BJCP style guide for a more detailed description and vital stats.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category14.php

The Brits were making IPA's (not called so) well before sending it to India according to a book on IPA's written by Mitch Steele who went there looking for the history on it.

Interesting read BTW!

I'm a member of a British beer forum and asked about original IPA's and found that it was common to only use a bittering addition and a dry hop with nothing for flavoring/aroma. They also weren't typically quite as alcoholic either.

It has me intrigued enough to attempt to brew one.

The Brits were making IPA's (not called so) well before sending it to India according to a book on IPA's written by Mitch Steele who went there looking for the history on it.

Interesting read BTW!

So would it be accurate to assume the IPA got the "India" name not because it was DESIGNED to last throughout the shipment, but because it HAPPENED to last the shipment?

Said another way, it was sent to India because it COULD be sent to India whereas other brews would be no good by the time they got there. It was NOT created to solve the problem of spoilage during long lead times.

Unfortunately I stopped reading the book. I need to start over.

Looking quickly I see that it's thought of as October beer, when the hops are freshly harvested, was the precursor to IPA, but mostly available to the wealthy as the amount of ingredients were large. These were aged 2-3 years usually.

It also talks a bit about how many beers suffered microbial problems (and others) and that they knew stronger and highly hopped beers tended to last longer and do better.

Too much just in these few pages to speak of, but quite interesting, including attempts at concentrated beer to be diluted or finished fermenting there that all seemed to have failed.

He states there is no record of him (Hodgson) of creating a beer specifically for it, but sending his October beer (pale ale) that just did great.

The first known entry of anything other than this October or pale wasn't until the 1820's when the term "pale ale for the Indian market" was used, and the term India pale ale wasn't printed until 1835.

Bow Brewery was also sending beer, though not as much as Hodgson, and the first instance of beer being described as specifically brewed for India was seen in 1820, which was more than 50 years after Hodgson started exporting his beer.

Again, too much to go through and type...

It wasn't the reason, according to what I read as porters were actually the more dominant beer for the troops. So other beers made it intact as well.

Abstract
As America makes a shift from the traditional American lager to full-flavored beers, the India Pale Ale (IPA) is prolific in the craft beer market. The uniquely bitter profile of this brew pub favorite inspires brewers to push the style to the limits, generally with great success. What many don’t know is that the style, as described by the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style reference guide, was originally created out of necessity rather than innovation. This paper will take a look at the beginnings of the India Pale Ale and its impact on today’s craft brew enthusiasts.
Keywords: craft beer, india pale ale, hops

India Pale Ale: Present
It will come as no surprise to craft beer enthusiasts that an India Pale Ale (IPA) is on the American Homebrewer’s Association’s (AHA) 2013 list of the best beers in America for the fifth year in a row (American Homebrewer's Association, 2013). Zymurgy, the journal published by the AHA and named for the branch of applied chemistry dealing with fermentation, places IPA’s in 7 of the top 10 positions with an impressive showing throughout the top 50. With the American IPA capturing the hearts of commercial master brewers and the homebrew “weekend warrior” alike, many accept the decidedly bitter profile as another choice of style designed by innovative craft brewers of late. However, the style originated out of a particular necessity that is almost as old as beer itself.
The Hop
The Beer Judge Certification Program’s (BJCP) style guide defines the IPA as a beer having a “moderate to moderately high hop aroma” with a “medium to high hop flavor” and “an assertive hop bitterness” (Zainasheff, England, Hieronymus, Fitzpatrick, & DePiro, 2013). Simply put, an IPA is an IPA because of the brewer’s unique use of hops. Hops supply the bitter properties enjoyed by enthusiasts but became the tool of choice due to its antibacterial/bacteriostatic, or preservative, properties (Priest & Campbell, 2002).
While ancient brewers often used plants with decidedly bitter properties, hops have been linked to brewing as far back as 822. Cornell noted that, in the writings of the Abbot of a Benedictine monastery in Northern France, instructions for abbey tenant duties dictated that if gathering did not produce enough hops, “the porter should take steps to get more from elsewhere to make sufficient beer”. Later, in 1150, the first real indication that brewers were using hops specifically for their preservative qualities appeared in writing. (Cornell, 2005).
The Bow Brewery and the East India Company
By the middle part of the 1700s, it was well known among brewers that beer would survive in proportion to the amount of hops used in the recipe. Moderately hopped pale ales were commonplace and a favorite of British tavern patrons. With trade colonies well-established in India, the men of the East India Company required a beer that was suitable for surviving the hot climate. Modern beer lore holds that George Hodgson of the prominent Bow Brewery in London created the IPA for that purpose. Hodgson is likely credited with creating the IPA because of a proliferation of the Bow Brewery brand in the market due to Hodgson’s unique policy of extending credit to the ships’ captains. However, the reality is that all of the prominent brewers of the time prepared heavily hopped porters and a pale ale, Cornell stated, that would later be referred to as “pale ale for India” or “pale ale prepared for the east and west India climate” (Cornell, 2005). This, of course, became the modern IPA.
Conclusion
As the American craft beer paradigm evolves, many adaptations of popular or historical beer styles are presented to the enthusiast. It’s no surprise that, in a market that produces beers outside of normally accepted style guidelines, the uninformed could assume that IPA is a late entry. However, this examination shows that the style, as it exists today, started with discoveries of the 2nd century and was popularized almost 300 years ago.

Yes. I submitted a beer paper for a English Comp assignment. They say write what you know.... :mug:

Interesting read BTW!

+1 on Mitch Steele's book. It is a great read & you'll learn a lot about brewing and brewing history in a very well written book. Some great recipes, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ah yes, but the research showed it wasn't called that for quite some time after it was being exported, and that before that it was just their October beer which also used plenty of hops and alcohol content.

So it wasn't a new recipe but a new term, and wasn't made specifically for India as it had been made right there of much much longer. Why was it called something different? I don't know. And unfortunately what little records seem a bit vague or absent.

I don't truly know if Mr. Steele's research was 100% accurate or if what the common belief is accurate. Mr. Steele makes a great case having looked at what records he could find.

What I do know is I LOVE an American IPA, which doesn't resemble the original.
:mug:

I have read that there is American IPA and so on. I take it from reading all the threads that a IPA is a real hoppy beer. I read fresh hops are a part of it. Its a little confusing to me that IPA which is India (or Imperial)Pale Ale can be American, or English. Is an IPA a type of brewing tech, or the ingredients?

Part of the confusion might be coming from a trend I've noticed lately of some breweries making bigger pale ales that they call "imperial" pale ales. Another brewery might make this same beer and call it a "session" IPA.

So if you see a listing for an "imperial pale ale," it's a bigger pale ale with a buzzword added. If you see a listing for an IPA or imperial IPA then it's safe to assume the "I" stands for India.

I have read that there is American IPA and so on. I take it from reading all the threads that a IPA is a real hoppy beer. I read fresh hops are a part of it. Its a little confusing to me that IPA which is India (or Imperial)Pale Ale can be American, or English. Is an IPA a type of brewing tech, or the ingredients?

English and American IPA are very similar, but an American IPA has a lot more flavor/aroma hops, and is almost always dry hopped. English IPA is seriously boring IMO

I've only tried one long ago, and I didn't like it. But I'm willing to try more or even brew one as I've grown an appreciation for the hop taste of noble hops, though it's not been in high concentrations as with an IPA.

Back