IPA recipe troubleshooting? Old hops to blame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pintabone

Reaction score
So I recently brewed what I was hoping to be a traditional American IPA. I had previously brewed a Rye IPA with a similar recipe and hop schedule that I thought came out well and received a respectable score in a competition of a 34. The comments for this American IPA (same as rye but substituting pilsner for the rye) in both competition and at a Homebrew club meeting were that it seemed old and oxidized.

Now I did buy these hops in bulk probably mid 2017 but kept them vacuum sealed in my freezer. Our refrigerator did die during their storage so they did thaw more to a refrigeration temp as I put them in my keezer but not more than 2 days.

My question is could the age of the hops be to blame for not getting enough aroma and hop character out of a 9+oz hopped 6 gallon IPA? Or do I really need to add that much more hops to achieve a good IPA?

Recipe is as follows:

6 gallon batch
Mash @ 150
Boil 60 minutes

7lb Maris Otter
2.5lb Pilsner
14oz Crystal 60
12oz Vienna
12oz Flaked wheat
.75oz Mag @ 60
2oz Mosaic @ flameout
1oz Citra @ flameout
1oz El Dorado @flameout
2oz mosaic dry hop
1oz citra dry hop
1.5oz el dorado dry hop
Wyeast 1272

I think I've read that Wyeast 1272/BRY-97 tend to mute the hops a bit. Also, you dry hopped 6 gallons with only 4.5 oz hops. I use the same amount for low ABV Pale ales, where I do not want a punchy nose. Everything else gets between 6 and 12 oz hops in the dry hopping.

Personally, I like lots of late additions in hoppy beers. I stopped bittering at 60 minutes, and I start adding hops in the last 20-25 minutes, every 3-5 minutes and do a big Whirlpool. For me, late additions seem to round up the hop flavour and add depth to the taste.

I've used 2 year old freezer hops..I doubt the hops are the problem.

On a side note how do you like the El Dorado hops. I have a pound and trying to figure out what to do with them.

Not enough late hops and a little to malty for the grain bill IMO.
You could probably even add another 1-2 oz of dry hops.

As an example my IPA (5.25g batch) usually has around 6 oz of later additions in the boil and 4oz dry hop. The grain bill will be mostly pils malt with maybe #1 vienna and 8oz crystal and a very nuetral yeast.

What are your water additions and are you carefull not to oxidize the beer throughout the process of fermentation and packaging?

Thanks for the responses. I’ve also wondered if the hopping schedule was light but the judging comments included questions of the age.

Water profile for this was about 160 sulfate. I think chloride around 50.

As far as oxygen this was the first beer that I cold crashed and transferred both under CO2 pressure. From brew bucket attached to CO2 to a CO2 purged keg through the liquid out post so I can’t imagine it was that.

Latest posts

Back