IPA recipe...Is this overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarc85

Reaction score
I've never made (or tasted) a better beer...but the recipe seems a bit overkill scaled up to 15 gallons. Check it out.

Holy **** IPA

13# Marris otter
2# 20L Crystal
1g gypsum
7gal strike water at 165F -> 6.5gal mash at 154F
Mash for 90 mins

90 min
2oz magnum 2oz chinook

75 min
2oz norbrew

45 min
2oz chinook
1oz fuggle

30 min
1oz fuggle

15min
1oz fuggle
2oz Golding

1min
2oz magnum

OG 1.066

Dry Hop
1oz Crystal
1oz Fugge (pellets)
1oz Citra

Five days in a closed cold vessel (submerged)

The hop schedule seems kinda random to me. Why a flameout addition of Magnum, the most neutral, lowest aroma hop around? Why the mixture of American and British hops? Assuming this is 5 gallons, I'd back way off on the bittering hops (do you really need 90, 75, and 45 minute additions?) and put in a lot more aroma hops. Just my two cents -- not sure exactly what kind of feedback you were looking for.

I'm inclined to say that scaling up the recipe should have little to no effect on the beer. I think that by scaling up the recipe, you were reminded of just how many hops the recipe calls for.

I think adding the Magnum at flameout is an interesting idea. Maybe the hop acids smooth out bitterness, or have some other beneficial effect, even if the hop adds no specific aroma to speak of.

I think that by scaling up the recipe, you were reminded of just how many hops the recipe calls for.

The amount of hops you're using doesn't seem like overkill. How much do you get from the dryhop addition? The way I understand it is when the beer is cold it takes significantly longer to get the same aroma than it would if the beer was warmer.

The hop schedule seems kinda random to me. Why a flameout addition of Magnum, the most neutral, lowest aroma hop around? Why the mixture of American and British hops? Assuming this is 5 gallons, I'd back way off on the bittering hops (do you really need 90, 75, and 45 minute additions?) and put in a lot more aroma hops. Just my two cents -- not sure exactly what kind of feedback you were looking for.

I blended the American hops with English hops because I wanted a blend of floral and grassy. I'm not exactly sure why I used the magnum hops at flame out...maybe to impart some floral notes.

This beer came out SUPER bitter, but everything about the flavor was great.

As far as the dry hopping, I've always had more success dry hopping my beers ice cold...3oz was awesome.

I want to remake this beer, but a 1/2bbl batch would be pretty expensive. I just wanted a few opinions to be sure I'm not missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back