IPA recipe help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyso22

Reaction score
So, I'll start with what I'm trying to accomplish and I'm looking for all opinions on what to change about my intended recipe/method to achieve it.

I'm trying to brew an IPA that is medium bodied, that is moderately bitter, that explodes with flavor and aroma and has a session-type ABV...now here's how I'm thinking of acheiveing that...

9lbs California Select (basically 2-row)
1lbs Crystal 10L
1lbs Carapils (intentionally >5%)

Mash @ 153F for 60min
Sparge @ 175F for 30min
1oz of Magnum @ 60min
3oz of Citra @ flameout
3oz of Citra for 3 days post-fermentation

First off, any opinions on what to change/alter? Second, instead of 3oz of Citra @ flameout, would anyone recommend dropping them in as a whirlpool addition after I've chilled <140F? If so, for how long? Does that offer better flavor/aroma vs flameout additions?

I'll be using OYL091 Hornindal Kveik - Omega Yeast and I'm planning to ferment in or around the 90F mark as the yeast is intended for that and apparently adds more of my desired tropical flavor/aromas.

Any and all advice welcomed! Thank you!

First off, any opinions on what to change/alter? Second, instead of 3oz of Citra @ flameout, would anyone recommend dropping them in as a whirlpool addition after I've chilled <140F? If so, for how long? Does that offer better flavor/aroma vs flameout additions?
Definitely add your Citra after flameout, at reduced temps, in the whirlpool. I've been adding them at 150F and let the temp slide naturally during the 30' whirlpool. Or keep the heat on low to stay at 150F. You get some bittering at 150F, but not much. It may help with the overall hop profile, who knows?
You could add them at 140F, if you want, why not. Haven't tried that low yet.

I'm adding 500W during whirlpooling at 140-160F, because it recirculates through my plate chiller loop (water side is still empty).

The citrus may remind you of saison-like flavors. they are not off flavors for that yeast, I have used it 90 and am thinking of dialing back to about 80°F. Don't get me wrong, I love it. Just saying keep in mind that the flavors vary from subtle if at all with lower temps (68°F) to very pronounced at 85°F (which is where i first used it)

Definitely add your Citra after flameout, at reduced temps, in the whirlpool. I've been adding them at 150F and let the temp slide naturally during the 30' whirlpool. Or keep the heat on low to stay at 150F. You get some bittering at 150F, but not much. It may help with the overall hop profile, who knows?
You could add them at 140F, if you want, why not. Haven't tried that low yet.

I'm adding 500W during whirlpooling at 140-160F, because it recirculates through my plate chiller loop (water side is still empty).
Ok, I'll stop by chilling process at 150F and drop the 3oz in for about 30min as you suggested. Would you then just continue chilling until my desired pitch temp or have you ever experimented just letting the hops whirlpool until pitch temp? (which for me will be around 85-90F I guess with this yeast).

I was actually hoping someone would recommend whirlpool as I've actually tried flameout numerous times and haven't noticed all that much difference. Thanks for your input!

The citrus may remind you of saison-like flavors. they are not off flavors for that yeast, I have used it 90 and am thinking of dialing back to about 80°F. Don't get me wrong, I love it. Just saying keep in mind that the flavors vary from subtle if at all with lower temps (68°F) to very pronounced at 85°F (which is where i first used it)
Actually I just checked my heat belt, and the directions say it can get up to 80F so based on your experiences, that may be desirable for me. Thanks so much for this!

Actually I just checked my heat belt, and the directions say it can get up to 80F so based on your experiences, that may be desirable for me. Thanks so much for this!

Your welcome. Keep in mind that each person has their own taste. Find what works for you

I love the citrus that stuff throws. I am sure that spectacular batches will be done at 90°F and it will hit final within a few short days. Play with this stuff. I have an American Strong in final round of nationals using this yeast, and a saison at home that rapidly became a favorite batch for me. Great stuff. Get to know it. So much wonderful variation with it.

Ok, I'll stop by chilling process at 150F and drop the 3oz in for about 30min as you suggested. Would you then just continue chilling until my desired pitch temp or have you ever experimented just letting the hops whirlpool until pitch temp? (which for me will be around 85-90F I guess with this yeast).
Stop chilling when you reach 150F, add the hops and let steep, hopstand with stirring, or whirlpool.
As I said before, you can let the temp drop naturally during that process, you may end up with 130-140F wort after the 30' are up. That's fine.
Or add a small amount of heat to keep at 150F. Your choice, differences may be subtle.
When that's done, chill to ferm temps. Leave the hops in.

Are you bagging/spidering your hops or toss in loose?

Stop chilling when you reach 150F, add the hops and let steep, hopstand with stirring, or whirlpool.
As I said before, you can let the temp drop naturally during that process, you may end up with 130-140F wort after the 30' are up. That's fine.
Or add a small amount of heat to keep at 150F. Your choice, differences may be subtle.
When that's done, chill to ferm temps. Leave the hops in.

Are you bagging/spidering your hops or toss in loose?
Awesome! Thanks for all that. Definitely will try what you suggested above.

I think I will muslin bag the hops given the quantity so it doesn't clog my pump after its done and I pump it out to my fermenter.

Definitely wp around 150 . Good stuff . The last IPA I tried flagship. It's a low to medium flocculation but it was fantastic . Another great yeast with the tropical fruitiness is GY054.

Awesome! Thanks for all that. Definitely will try what you suggested above.

I think I will muslin bag the hops given the quantity so it doesn't clog my pump after its done and I pump it out to my fermenter.
You'll need fairly large (roomy) fine mesh bags to hold most hop pulp back. The fine dust that goes through those won't clog your pump (or plate chiller).
Weigh 'em down so they remain submerged. "Massage" the bags while steeping in the wort. Drain them every 3-5 minutes or so (no splashing) to refresh the wort inside.

I have been working on improving my IPA/Pale Ales lately...lighter body and less Crystal 60.

I need to do some side by side experiments, but I feel like beers without some boil hops (say 20 or 15 min) lack hop flavor complexity. All the hops come across as up front fruity and floral flavors. That is fine if that is what you like but it is not what I want.

I REALLY enjoyed a recent IPA that was 84% Pale Malt, 9% White Wheat Malt, 4% Caramel 20, 3% Carapils. (Based on a Racer 5 clone)

Honestly, I have not figured out what Carapils adds to a beer. If I recall, research by Scott Janish says that mashing Carapils does not add dextrine, but steeping it does.

I just kegged a Pale Ale/Session IPA that was 76% Pale Malt, 19% Munich Malt 15L, 5% White Wheat Malt that has a lot of potential...going for a bill with zero crystal.

I really like the grain bill of Bell's Two Hearted which is Pale Malt + Pale Ale Malt + Caramel 40.

You'll need fairly large (roomy) fine mesh bags to hold most hop pulp back. The fine dust that goes through those won't clog your pump (or plate chiller).
Weigh 'em down so they remain submerged. "Massage" the bags while steeping in the wort. Drain them every 3-5 minutes or so (no splashing) to refresh the wort inside.
So I brewed lastnight and I used your advice. Held the temp at 150F for 30min post 60min boil. The muslin bag I had for the hops was large so it worked well. Circulated the wort the entire time. It smelled so delicious!

As for this Hornindal Kveik...absolutely unbelievable! Fermenting at a controlled 80F and it's already about to blow the lid off lol. I really hope this method in addition to this yeast yield me exactly what I'm hoping for because it's been one of my most favorite brews so far!

Thanks to all for the advice!

Back