Limited hops for hazy pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I'm not kegging, and can't make a true hazy NEIPA, I'm trying a hazy pale - simple question is, if I have 4 oz hops, 2 Citra / 1 Sabro / 1 Rakau, what in anyone's opinion would be the best schedule? I was going to use Rakau for bittering, since it's subtle, Citra and Sabro for aroma / flavor. I was figuring on adding most of the hops at flameout / whirlpool. Or should I stagger some at 30 / 15 minutes?
Thanks.

Do you have any other hops for bittering, like magnum? If so, use that to get your desired IBUs and toss all 4oz of the listed hops in at the end.

I've never used it, but have heard sabro is pretty strong and can potentially be overpowering. Maybe someone else has some more on that.

I've used sabro , but never as a bittering hop. Magnum is definitely a great bittering hop. I'm with @slurms , if you can get some Magnum then toss the others at the end would be the way I'd go.

Just my 2 cents, but I would skip the bittering addition and throw everything in at flameout, and hopstand for about 10 minutes. You can even let the wort cool down to 180° and throw everything in then. With the three hops you have, should make for a nice tropical/citrusy/slightly coconutty NEIPA.

I’d put the Rakau in at flameout and use the others for either a single or double dry hop after fermentation is done and a soft crash is complete (drop as much out of suspension as possible). I used to whirlpool but don’t bother anymore with my Hazys, I think you get much more out of the hops with a dry hop.
Cheers.

Just my 2 cents, but I would skip the bittering addition and throw everything in at flameout, and hopstand for about 10 minutes. You can even let the wort cool down to 180° and throw everything in then. With the three hops you have, should make for a nice tropical/citrusy/slightly coconutty NEIPA.
This is what I would do, except I would add about 10 IBU's of Magnum @ 60 min. I think it gives it a nice clean backbone that doesn't indrude on the juicy.

Back