IPA Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman13

Reaction score
Going to brew up an IPA for my son (He loves IPAs)
Thinking about adding Cherry Juice, to make a Cherry IPA. what do you think?

Me I do not like IPAs...love Stouts and Wheats, so I can't tell if this would work or not

Going to brew up an IPA for my son (He loves IPAs)
Thinking about adding Cherry Juice, to make a Cherry IPA. what do you think?

Me I do not like IPAs...love Stouts and Wheats, so I can't tell if this would work or not

I LOVE IPAs. But a cherry IPA sounds terrible! IPAs are all about the hops, and shouldn't have that "cough syrup" taste that fermented cherry juice often brings. Any fruit would be out of place, but something like apricot might not be as bad in an IPA.

Nope. Don't think cherry would play well at all with the bitterness of an IPA. Do you want to add the cherry to see if you can make an IPA that you like, or does your son want you to do something different with it? I'm betting if your son likes IPA's that he'd appreciate you withholding the cherry. Then just to brew something else for your own consumption.

cherry and ipa would be a conflicting set of tastes, i believe. many hop varieties (especially those frequently used in ipas) lend a citrus, piney, or floral character to a beer and i could see this being a problem with cherry flavors. i've never tried a cherry ipa, so maybe brew up a small batch for your son? but if he likes ipas, as i do, he may not like a cherry ipa. probably better to stick to a more traditional recipe.

i see you like wheat beers and stouts, and am from michigan. my wife loves the cherry wheat beer from hinterland and the cherry stout from new glarus. if you're ever in wisconsin, pick some up.

cheers, and good luck whatever you decide.

I bet you could make a good cherry ipa with enough thought and tweaking but if you want to make something different for your son I'd suggest something a little easier to pull off. In my opinion, nailing a cherry ipa is like nailing a triple lindy (Rodney Dangerfield).

What about going with some unique hops for an IPA for your son, maybe some New Zealand or Japanese hops. And be sure to dry hop it like it tried to steal your lunch money.

If he loves IPAs....I wouldnt take a chance of making something for a special occasion that he might not like. What is his favorite and replicate it. Experimenting is something you dont want to give as a gift.

Latest posts

Back