IPA - Pretty unremarkable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcjmil

Reaction score
Hi

I brewed an extract kit IPA. After 2 weeks in the bottle, it's totally unremarkable.

I know....I should wait longer.

My question is, if this stuff tastes "watery" is it simply a question of aging?

Can you post details of the recipe?

If it tastes watery, my guess is it's going to stay that way.

This is a kit IPA, so I'm sure there are no details on what went in. Next time just use your own extract and hops and try it yourself.

There is a big difference in the ingredients and quality of kits. I made a few, but I do better reading recipes and going to the Local Home Brew Supply. I get more grains and more extract for the same money, and I get tips from the owners.

If by watery, you mean thin. Yeah I've had that. the body doesn't develop for a few weeks. don't get discouraged yet.

It takes a while for beers to condition, cannot rush this at all. I tend to leave beers in the primary at least 10 days, then at least 14 in the secondary, then bottle for at least 3 weeks before I even try it. Sometimes being patient is difficult, but if you brew frequently, you'll always have stuff that is just 'comin off the line' and ready to drink.

Also, its not too difficult to write a recipe for an IPA. I just bottled this:
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 44.4 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.3 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
0.75 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.75 oz Centennial [9.50%] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [12.00%] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (20 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (10 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.90%] (Dry hop)
1.00 oz Chinook [12.00%] (Dry hop)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

And it tasted so gooood at bottling :)

That odd for a IPA to have a "watery" taste. From the IPA kits and recipes I've seen there is a lot of ingredients involved. My kit contained 8lbs of extract and 2lbs of grains. It is thick.

Latest posts

Back