Ipa exract recipe hop schedule question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eerrpp

Reaction score
I am making an IPA with 9.15 pale liquid malt extract and 1 lbs crystal 40L steeping grain. I have two possible hop schedules I was thinking of using. Could anybody tell me their opinion on the two hop schedules I have listed.

Option 1
60 min 1 oz centennial
15 min 1 oz centennial
10min 1oz centennial 1oz citra
5 min 1 oz centennial 1oz Amarillo
Dry hop 1 oz centennial 1oz citra 1oz chinook

Option2
60 min 1 oz centennial
20 min 1 oz centennial
5min 1 oz centennial 1 oz citra
0 min 1 oz centennial 1 oz Amarillo
Dry hop 1 oz centennial 1oz citra 1oz chinook

I would cut the crystal, or add 1/2 pound of corn sugar to help dry it out,

with those hops:

60 min 1 oz centennial
10 min 1 oz chinook
0 min 2 oz centennial
0 min 1 oz amarillo
0 min 1 oz citra
dry hop 1 oz citra
dry hop 2 oz centennial

in my opinion that's a good balanced beer. I have been wrong before.... but I think that's making the best of the hops you have.

That hop schedule looks interesting. The recipe is a bells two hearted clone kit which uses all the centennial hops listed. I had extra citra Amarillo and chinook hops in my freezer I wanted to use up. The original bells two hearted clone hop schedule is
60 min 1 oz centennial
20 min 1 oz centennial
5 min 2 oz centennial
Dry hop 1 oz centennial

yep, and it works for a centennial only IPA.. :)

people will wonder why chinook at all, but at 10, it'll bring out the pine, and maybe some of the grapefruit.
Centennial late is going to build up the citrus and grapefruit tones.
Amarillo at the end will bring out the grapefruit, apricot and other citrus ...
Same with Citra, it'll be bursting with a very citrus aroma when you pop the bottle.

try it, let me know, ...

people will wonder why chinook at all, but at 10, it'll bring out the pine, and maybe some of the grapefruit.
Centennial late is going to build up the citrus and grapefruit tones.
Amarillo at the end will bring out the grapefruit, apricot and other citrus ...
Same with Citra, it'll be bursting with a very citrus aroma when you pop the bottle.

I am just wondering how you know this?
Is there any kind of chart that breaks this knowledge of hops and hop schedules? or is this all just from experience? Making hop schedules is a giant puzzle to me at the moment

Back