IPA at just over 6 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2P

Reaction score
Brewed up Midwest Supplies' Octane IPA and bottled on 7/24. Starting was 1.068 and ending was 1.018. Bottled with 5oz of corn sugar and it has been conditioning at 70 since for just over 6 weeks now. As of now there are some that are very flat while others are actually pretty solid.

With the flat ones I found that if I aerate them between two glasses like a shaker I can get some head that stays for a short bit but dies down in the second half.

I hope this is enough information for you to help out, if not let me know. So what are your thoughts and suggestions on this?

This can happen if you don't mix the priming sugar well in the bottling bucket. You will have some bottles with priming sugar and some without.

Sounds like your priming mix wasn't mixed with the beer well enough. For future batches, gently stir after racking your beer on top of the mix. I had this happen a couple times b4 I started stirring.

In this batch you may end up with a couple gushers mixed with some flat ones. It's probably done all it's going to do on carb by now.

That's what I was afraid of. We put the hose (which is a couple of feet longer than need be) in a coil at the bottom to cyclone stir it but I guess that was not enough. We started stirring after opening that one though.

Back