IPA and safale 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the tube that it original came packaged in, you can use that. Or, just use the refractometer and a calculator to correct the reading like this one.

Let the yeast work! Don't check anything for at least 2 weeks, 3 is even better. I still can't figure out why some insist on opening up their brews and risking infection way before it's time. :confused:

Sometimes you are hoping to get a beer in bottles because you have things you want it to be ready for ... :)

Two weeks from now I am on vacation for a bit and it'll be a complete bummer if I am not bottled before then because I'm hoping to take some camping when I get back a couple of weeks after. I'm dry hopping as well so keeping an eye on things just helps.

It is no tragedy if I miss that window but that is why this batch exists.

80' isn't hot enough to kill the yeast - has to be about 100 - 105 for that.
80 is a bit on the warm side - the OP will probably have some esters in there he probably didn't want (it may work out though...)

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I pitch at 70 - 80, so I asked if op did.
I was trying to find if op had pitched too hot.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I pitch at 70 - 80, so I asked if op did.
I was trying to find if op had pitched too hot.

It's all good. It totally worked if you read through all the post. Yeast work more than expected. I bottle tomorrow. Hit it with a 5 day dry hop. I held back from doing the 7 day bc when I smell it it's pretty hoppy and tastes bitter. I wasn't sure it really needed the two extra days. So keep you all posted. Hope it turns out to my liking. Looks good.

My last, version 6 DIPA, got 20oz, 5 gallons. Got 1/2lbs of cascade for like 5.99 I think at NB.
I had 3oz in the freezer, and hit with an oz of Colombus at 60.
All late/whirlpool and 7oz dry hop 4 days.
At 2 weeks it's an aroma bomb, bitterness is right in line with the style, but not sure about the flavor of all cascade.
Next time I'm skipping the 60 minute addition, and probably 2oz Amarillo at 10 & 5, 2oz cascade at 0, 2oz cascade WP, and 4oz centennial dry hop.
Something like that...

Yeah the issue was my zero experience with safale 05. But today is the 2 wks waiting period and I am having one now and it's pretty good. Nice hoppy IPA. The only thing I'd like is too see it a bit crisper. I used Irish moss and idk, maybe that just the way this looks. Enough critical review...it's a good beer. Couldn't ask for more. Think it ended up being 5.6 or 5.8%

Latest posts

Back